Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 10 Dec 2017, 23:13

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 02:47 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

well i was on facebook just a little while ago and saw a post my cousin had made. as you see it was pro peta and anti trapping. i felt that even though she was my cousin it was my duty to try to inform her of the truth on the subject. here is her post and my reply as fallows.

(my cousin) how can human beings be so cruel? I will never touch fur

Wall Photos
Discover nine shocking fur facts that will make you think twice about wearing th...
See More
By: PETA (People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals)
Like · · Share · 10 hours ago ·

(a friend of my cousins) I eat meat, but only when it is humanely raised and butchered. So, I would ,in theory,wear the hide of such an animal. But, the fur industry is horrifically barbaric. Seriously sick.
5 hours ago · Like

(my cousin) Yes that is a whole different story when all parts of the animal are used and humanely raised, but as an industry it is totally sick.
5 hours ago · Like

(me/Todd Kennedy) sorry but "the fur industry" as you put it doesn't raise animals for fur. nearly all fur is from wild animals caught during highly regulated trapping season where only humane traps are allowed to be used. (cousins name here) you got to get back in touch with your Vermont roots. grandpa was a trapper, i am a trapper and (my sisters name here) son (nephews name here) started trapping for the first time this year. the fur bearers we catch do not suffer at all. also the laws dictate that traps shall only be set during seasons when there is no risk to young being caught. to trap for fur you must be certified and licensed and trained to be completely ethical. you are trained to understand how a certain set and trap might work in one place but would be unsafe in another due to pets, farm machinery, etc. peta is a huge cooperation that makes millions by selling the fight against animal cruelty. i 100% am against cruelty of animals but the peta makes up tons a falsified story's and claims to gain membership and sell their cause to turn a profit for the CEO's. next time you are in VT stop by and i will show you the traps that are used and how they dont hurt animals or cause them to suffer. if you want to look at this subject with an open mind watch this video. you dont have to like trapping but you should at least recognize it for what it really is. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsj-2o0ux14

Destroying the Myth
www.youtube.com
The absolute truth about trapping with leg traps. Enjoy!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 02:49 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

also my nephew just sold his first furs. he got 7.50 a piece for his muskrats. he was one happy 13 year old :D

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 05:24 

I hope your argument works to some degree Swamp Puppy. You did a very good job explaining our side of the argument and including the destroying the myth link. Some people just refuse to look at the other side no matter how many "facts" you throw at them, but if no one tried, than we would be in a deeper hole than we already are.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 08:58 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Very good replies and grounds for a truthful debate Swamp Puppy!

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 11:40 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I just got unfriended over a debate on FB much like yours :mrgreen: You were by far calmer and nicer than I was, the lady new better and was bing a huge hippocrit. My post started out somthin like " You people are retarded" and off we went :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 12:43 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The president of the trappers association here (Insert morons name) wrote in the last newsletter that he sees the anti' letters and articles in the newspapers as well. But that we shouldnt respond to them because "You can never change the mind of an extremist". The Key here is Fence sitters. Its not the apposing lawyer you need to convince. Its the jury.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 13:39 
Trapper
Trapper

For the most part in debates like this there are three sides. One side is no trapping animal fur is awful trappers and hunters are killers. Second side is pro trapping and hunting and support for those therein. Third and most important is the undecided or I know nothing about that people.These are the ones you should work on and try to educate slowly but remember that for the most part the general population doesn't have the stomach for a lot of photos or explicit stories I see posted all over the net. Last SwampPuppy if your cousin has already made up the mind and you can not change that then in my honest opinion its best to block your photos from them or defriend them altogether before your photos end up on Footloose Montana page like some of my trapping friends. Good luck.

red fox-4
grey fox-1
coon -6
grinners-many
beaver- 5
woo cat-3
otter-2

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 14:15 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

SWVAyote wrote:
For the most part in debates like this there are three sides. One side is no trapping animal fur is awful trappers and hunters are killers. Second side is pro trapping and hunting and support for those therein. Third and most important is the undecided or I know nothing about that people.These are the ones you should work on and try to educate slowly but remember that for the most part the general population doesn't have the stomach for a lot of photos or explicit stories I see posted all over the net. Last SwampPuppy if your cousin has already made up the mind and you can not change that then in my honest opinion its best to block your photos from them or defriend them altogether before your photos end up on Footloose Montana page like some of my trapping friends. Good luck.

Point well made SWVAyote, that is why you see redrooster and myself deleting or contacting members via PMs to keep some of their photos from being posted for the public and making them available for the ANTIs to "use" out of context. As we are all Trappers, we understand the craft from the inside out but there are those who do not and can be influenced by skewn info. So if everyone on WAT will continue to be mindful of the "guest viewers" and restrain from putting much too gross pictures up and also avoid the macho discussions about various means of dispatching. We can PM one another on all those matters.

Swamp Rat

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 17:15 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Swamp Rat wrote:
SWVAyote wrote:

Point well made SWVAyote, that is why you see redrooster and myself deleting or contacting members via PMs to keep some of their photos from being posted for the public and making them available for the ANTIs to "use" out of context. As we are all Trappers, we understand the craft from the inside out but there are those who do not and can be influenced by skewn info. So if everyone on WAT will continue to be mindful of the "guest viewers" and restrain from putting much too gross pictures up and also avoid the macho discussions about various means of dispatching. We can PM one another on all those matters.

Swamp Rat

They ended up on Screw loose Montana website? lol

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 21:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I have quit posting photos all together. Sometimes you forget and your photo has your child or the tag plate on your pickup or even the address number on your house. There is a place I will post photos among friends but is a closed group and still tasteful pictures are appropriate. Some of these anti people are just downright mean and I ain't taking no chances. If you are trapping and don't know how to dispatch then one pm should do the trick after that I don't answer and you should look for another hobby. We as trappers are in ourselves the worst enemies of the sport. Common sense will get you a long way in life and if you don't have any then again you are in the wrong sport. Thanks for listening guys and maybe some young newbie will think about this before posting some of this seasons photo.

red fox-4
grey fox-1
coon -6
grinners-many
beaver- 5
woo cat-3
otter-2

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 22:24 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I think it is a sick and sad reflection on how far this country has descended into the gutter when people post videos of idiots beating the crap out of defenseless people, destroying property, doing drugs, doing weird sexual things , molesting kids, mocking God, and all this crap is socially acceptable, but you can't post a pic of a dead animal without some left wing liberal idiot calling you a murderer.
As far as I'm concerned, I refuse to argue with idiots anymore. I have better things to do. When the SHTF, they will strangle their grandmother for a bite to eat.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 22:27 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
I think it is a sick and sad reflection on how far this country has descended into the gutter when people post videos of idiots beating the crap out of defenseless people, destroying property, doing drugs, doing weird sexual things , molesting kids, mocking God, and all this crap is socially acceptable, but you can't post a pic of a dead animal without some left wing liberal idiot calling you a murderer.
As far as I'm concerned, I refuse to argue with idiots anymore. I have better things to do. When the SHTF, they will strangle their grandmother for a bite to eat.

AMEN PREACHER (oops I mean Doc).....I agree 100%

PostPosted: 05 Mar 2012, 23:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SWVAyote- good advice on pixs that might have identifying info on them. Never know who's checking things out. Have you seen the ads for the id "lock" companies that state that bad guys don't even need your SS # anymore to latch onto your bank account but just your mom's madien name and the city of your birth. They're out to sell a product but I'm sure there's some truth to it. I've handed in dozens of checks through the past few years to a Cub Scout pack bank account and the tellers never look at them. Just run through a scanner. It could say the "Mickey Mouse Club" on the check and they would deposit it in our account.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 00:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

enjoyed the video

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 21:04 
Trapper
Trapper

My mom lives in a typical city town and that is were I go to school. In english class we are writing persuasive essay's. My topic was why Hunters and Trappers are not bad. I presented my topic, which was mostly facts, and I talked about how we help the economy, wildlife, and human to animal existance. I stated that the money we spend gave the government 22.9 billion dollars and gave 1.3 million people jobs (2010). in the economy we have this is very substantial. I said how hunters and trappers help the animal population preventing overpopulation, disease, starvation, and auto crashes. Like the coyotes in Kansas right now are getting mange real bad, this is from overpopulation. I recalled all the nice people who would give the shirt of their backs for someone that are hunters and trappers. It sickend me the distgusted looks and ugly comments I got for making this. I know people have their beliefs but before they go pointing fingers they need to know the facts. I know so many kids that, if they tried it, they would love trapping and hunting. The frienships that you can build in the outdoors are virtually un brakeable. I feel sad so many people feel differently. :--(

grinner:)27
woodpecker:3
mice:4

PostPosted: 06 Mar 2012, 21:28 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice. Why don't you send your "animal bill of rights" to PETA and watch them cry. It might be fun :wink: !!

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 07 Mar 2012, 16:10 
Trapper
Trapper

I just might :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: You gotta love makin tree hugers mad :lol:

grinner:)27
woodpecker:3
mice:4