Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 03:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 16:41 
Trapper
Trapper

I see they had one down near the river, sounds like it is more to the west of you though. Give us a report if you can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 17:10 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Skinner, I e-mailed him yesterday ,aint heard nothing from him .he did say he was working last time we talked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Jul 2007, 18:37 
Trapper
Trapper

OK, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jul 2007, 12:36 
Trapper
Trapper

Cat, the only fire I have heard thus far is near Clarkston (Washington/Idaho border). It's July now and that means fire season. Things have been drying out fast because of the 100+ temps. So far no storms are in the forecast, as that is what heats up this area. Funny how the skunk patch weed survives those scorchers. LOL. I'll post any start ups in this post.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 14:24 
Trapper
Trapper

Just as I state there is no storm activity,,, last night we had one heck of a lightning storm. It's just a matter of days or a week before the dry strikes will produce the anticipated fires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 07 Jul 2007, 19:52 
Trapper
Trapper

Keep your fingers crossed, don't want to see any big fires.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007, 22:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Cat: (2) major fires that are 0 percent contained thus far is 19 miles South of Grangeville and hopping from ridge to ridge. One that concerns us most is that which is near my hunting / trapping area, The Shep Ranch area. This fire is now called the Rattlesnake fire - 6 miles South of Dixie. I guide out of Dixie and will be back there this week. I understand choppers & fire fighters have already set up camp there and will get some photos to share in this post. Also, we are bailing on the Red River (our other pasture ranch) to make room for the next group of smoke jumper / fire fighters. Several storms are scheduled as well this week. Too early for fires - this is like the 1910 era.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007, 22:27 
Trapper
Trapper

Looks like they are popping up all over, we need a cooling trend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 12:16 
Trapper
Trapper

Fire has definitely come to "Town". We (the outfitter, I and others) have provided the fire service a place to set up camp (as shown in the tent photo below). In this process, we have and still are transporting belongings to outside personnel. The town Dixie is on a 12 hour alert and sprinklers, foil on houses, and deadfall being removed are just a few precautions. Here are a few pics thus far.

ImageImage Image Image

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 12:27 
Trapper
Trapper

hope they get it out soon, keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 12:33 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Looks like they could use more help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 12:34 
Trapper
Trapper

Here are some picture taken of this small town Dixie were I trap and guide out of.

Logging and dump trucks constantly removing trees and slash / debris piles. Second pic is looking at Main street Dixie. Note the sky is filled with smoke in this photo as well as the rest.
Image Image

In these two photos you will see the foil is wrapped partially on the Community Hall and the Dixie store. Several fire fighters are in this pic as well.
Image Image

Now, these several pics are of my outfitters property. First is of our meat shed completely covered with with foil - Sprinklers were installed and began operation shortly after this photo was taken. Take notice of the down logs shown in the rear. Next picture shows a dump truck and excavator in the back ground to his lodge.
ImageImage

Lastly, this photo shows a sign taken 30 miles away. You can see the smoke drifting in the background. I live just a few miles down the road. These fires are classified as similar to the historical 1910 fires that claimed both Dixie and Elk City.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 12:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nutz ,Youl'll be in my thought's and I hope none of that fire get's to you.or the outfitters.Is there any sign of the weather breaking or is it more of the same.It is supposed to be hot here all week .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 13:06 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Wow. Good luck out there. Stay safe.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 30 Jul 2007, 18:52 
Trapper
Trapper

So what did they do, log a space behind those buildings as a fire break? Is that a loader or a processor in that one photo? I can't tell if that is a grapple or a processor head, I see the log truck is a self loader.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2007, 09:19 
Trapper
Trapper

We are suppose to receive thunder showers this weekend. I am not sure if that is a good thing or not. - Cat, those logs were piled up for removal. The fire crew hot shots cut down most of the dead, beetle infested trees. The use of a loader (pic in question), makes loading these logs and debris a simple task. Here is a photo of a sky crane helicopter in flight over my outfitters ranch. It gathers water from the river and dumps it on the fires. We have three thus far. They are: Raynes, Concord and the Rattle Snake fire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2007, 10:16 
Trapper
Trapper

I see what is going on now, the fire crews have been cleaning up the dead and down stuff along the highway to Priest Lake too. It sure makes it harder for a fire to get a head of steam up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2007, 12:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Are you guy's getting any wind .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Aug 2007, 22:23 
Trapper
Trapper

My girlfriend to this photo while on fire security watch near Nut Hill. You can see the smoke in the distant treeline to the right. Less than five miles from the Dixie work center.

Image Image

This barn would soon circumb to the flames as the fire advances to the town of Dixie. The below editorial is an update through our local paper.

Fires threaten Dixie, Warren, Secesh
-- fire update, Aug. 1 --
Idaho County Free Press

Incident crews continue to address several large fires within the region that continue to threaten communities -- specifically, Dixie, Warren and Secesh -- and back country structures. Information here is as of press time Tuesday morning.
Rattlesnake Fire
The 19,000-acre Rattlesnake Fire is located in the Indian Creek and Crooked Creek drainages, and on the north bank of the Salmon River, five miles southwest of the Dixie Work Center. Structure assessment and preparation work continues at Dixie and within the Salmon River corridor, and the community is under a 12-24 hour pre-evacuation notice.
The fire was active Sunday, making runs to the north across Drumlummen Ridge, and east to the west side of Crooked Creek.
East Zone Complex Fire
At 29,490 acres, the East Zone Complex is made up of three fires: Loon, Zena and North Fork. Containment is at 20 percent. All three fires are burning on the tops of ridges and are backing slowly downhill. Weather conditions have moderated fire behavior, and crews on all three fires were able to make good progress.
On the Zena Fire, firefighters are working to protect the South Fork area containing about 20 structures with poor access and narrow roads. Crews will set up fire protection systems and wrap structures, and they continued constructing direct line on the north and south perimeters of the North Fork Fire.
On the Loon Fire, crews continued direct line construction from Loon Lake to prevent the fire from moving toward the community of Secesh.
The Loon and Zena fires continue to threaten the communities of Warren and Secesh. Voluntary evacuation plans and structure protection are in place.
Closures, restrictions
à Stage Two Fire restrictions have been declared by Idaho Department of Lands, and the Boise, Payette, and Sawtooth national forests. See www.inciweb.org for details.
à The Warren Wagon Road is closed from the Secesh River Road to the west end of Warren. Local traffic will be allowed.
à For information on Payette National Forest road and forest closures call 634-2493.
Raines Fire
The portion of the Raines fire north of the Salmon River is now estimated at 1,600 acres. It has grown to the west and north toward Cove Mountain and made short runs up Crooked Creek, Indian Creek and Fitz Creek. It has reached Drumlummen Ridge, and activity was also experienced within the Salmon River corridor, with portions run to the northeast (upriver) past the Painter Bar area on the Payette National Forest.
Closures, restrictions:
à Area closure around the Rattlesnake Fire between Oregon Butte/Drumlummen Point to Boise Bar, and in the Buffalo Hump/Orogrand area. For details contact the Red River Ranger District, 842-2245.
Concord Fire
Activity increased on this 1,534-acre fire. Because this fire has moved east out of the Gospel Hump Wilderness it is no longer a wild fire use fire and is now a suppression fire. Structure wrapping and sprinkler set up to protect structures in the Buffalo Hump area is continuing. Containment is at zero percent.
Poe Cabin Fire
The 54,000-acre Poe Cabin Fire continues to burn in the northern tip of the Hells Canyon Wilderness Structures in Sheep Creek Ranch have been wrapped and fresh crews are in place to protect them in the event the fire creeps down into Sheep Creek. Containment is at 55 percent.
Structural protection engines are maintaining property protection on both the north and eastern edges. Monday at 2 p.m., crews tackled a fire half way between Lucile and Cow Creek Saddle, which was stopped and one tenth of an acre, the result of a lightning strike a few days ago.
The fire continues to move down the "island" between the Snake and Salmon rivers, and crews were maintaining property protection in Cow Creek and along the Snake River south of the Kirkwood Ranch.
On Saturday, 32 members of the Idaho National Guard joined the firefighting efforts, providing security at four essential checkpoints around the fire. Currently, 675 personnel, seven helicopters, 13 water tenders, two dozers, and 39 engines are currently assigned.
Closures, restrictions:
à For safety, the public is asked to refrain from slowing or stopping on the river or highway to observe aircraft picking
up water from the Snake and Salmon rivers.
à The western portion of the Salmon River District of the Nez Perce National Forest north of the Seven Devils road has been closed to the public. The Seven Devils road (517) remains open at this time. When work begins on the 517 road, it will be closed but the detour will reroute traffic on the 493 road.
à The Hells Canyon National Recreation Area north of Heavens Gate and west to the Snake River is also closed. The Deer Creek Road (493 to Pittsburg Landing) is closed due to hazards and fire traffic. Contact Hells Canyon National Recreation Area at 628-3916, or the Slate Creek Ranger District at 839-2211, for information.
Bridge Fire
The lightning-caused Bridge Fire -- 9,200 acres -- is located in the Bridge Creek drainage. The fire is on the Clearwater National Forest two miles north of the Elk Summit Guard Station and approximately 14 air miles southeast of the Powell Ranger Station. Containment is at zero percent.
Due to extreme fire behavior and the fire's remote location, no personnel have been working on the fireline. Fire personnel and lookouts are monitoring activity. The fire continues to move east/northeast into the Selway-Bitterroot Wilderness, and it is burning in the Big Sand drainage, south of Rabbit Creek, west of Colt Killed Creek and east of the Elk Summit Road.
Closures, restrictions:
à Closure around the fire extends north to the Beaver Ridge Road #369 and includes the Elk Summit Road. Area closure maps are posted at campgrounds and trailheads on the Powell Ranger District. The public is asked to refrain from entering this area. For information contact the Powell Ranger Station at 942-3113.
Hidden Fire
The Hidden Fire on the (Clearwater National Forest is at 1,400 acres. This wildland fire use fire is 11 miles southeast of Powell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Aug 2007, 06:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

What a deal...nutz you be careful .I will be hoping you get lot's of rain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 20 Aug 2007, 12:14 
Trapper
Trapper

Here's another shirt I wear proudly. As with trapping anti's, we have our share of environmental individuals. Though I am not a logger, I do believe in removing trees that have reached their growing potential and all dead, beetle infested timber. It gives deer & elk an area to calve and definitely reduces the fuels in potential lightening strike fires. Unfortunately, these tree hugging individuals (EarthFirsters, as they are called here) prevent a lot of much needed logging. As a result, much of my hunting & trapping areas are now being burned and evacuated. This shirt says it all for everyone who understands forest service management. On the positive side, we received our first rain last night. Previous rain before this was in June. I hope it has done some good. Fingers crossed.

P.S. I thought Cat would appreciate this shirt.

Image Image