Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 24 Oct 2017, 02:53

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Preppers
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 20:48 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Anyone watch the show about preppers on National Geographic last night ?

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject: Re: Preppers
PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 20:53 
I did not see it.... Was it any good?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:16 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

DOC- What ya think about the law that makes it illegal if you have food stored that can feed you for more than seven days?

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:24 
What law is that hillbilly and who made the law. I have neer heard of such

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:29 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

hillbilly wrote:
DOC- What ya think about the law that makes it illegal if you have food stored that can feed you for more than seven days?

I don't remember seeing that, but I will tell you this..........good frickin' luck to them if they try to enforce it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Red, it was interesting. There was a couple from Texas that had built their house out of the large shipping containers. It was built in a square with an inner courtyard for animals and to grow food. They had enough food stored for about 15 years I think, maybe more , plus solar, wind, and methane power to go totally off-grid. They had about everything they needed, plus 2 school buses and other vehicles to "bug out" if they had too. I'm thinking, " man , If they have to bug out of THERE, they are in BIG trouble". :shock: :shock: :shock:

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:30 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Did not get to see the show. Putting up food is just a common practice with some folks. I'll bet Doc has enough canned goods to quaify to be a "Prepper". Well he has a bunch other than the jar of jelly I beat him out of when we last visited. :roll:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:34 
Every Farm family I know has a large stock pile of food. Heck, some of them only get a little cash, 3-4 times a year when they sell livestock or sell a harvest.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:35 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

doc9013 wrote:
hillbilly wrote:

I don't remember seeing that, but I will tell you this..........good frickin' luck to them if they try to enforce it. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Red, it was interesting. There was a couple from Texas that had built their house out of the large shipping containers. It was built in a square with an inner courtyard for animals and to grow food. They had enough food stored for about 15 years I think, maybe more , plus solar, wind, and methane power to go totally off-grid. They had about everything they needed, plus 2 school buses and other vehicles to "bug out" if they had too. I'm thinking, " man , If they have to bug out of THERE, they are in BIG trouble". :shock: :shock: :shock:

Yup. I read about them...they had enough food stored to feed 22 people for 15 years! :D

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:38 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Swamp Rat wrote:
Did not get to see the show. Putting up food is just a common practice with some folks. I'll bet Doc has enough canned goods to quaify to be a "Prepper". Well he has a bunch other than the jar of jelly I beat him out of when we last visited. :roll:

There's enough food in my yard every day to last 7 days. :roll: :roll: :roll: Was the jelly good swamp ? Planning on making more this spring. Maybe some more will find its' way to Texas. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:43 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

doc9013 wrote:
Swamp Rat wrote:

There's enough food in my yard every day to last 7 days. :roll: :roll: :roll: Was the jelly good swamp ? Planning on making more this spring. Maybe some more will find its' way to Texas. :lol: :lol:

You dang right it was good....I used the word delicious rather than good.....heck, I bent two good spoons trying to get more out after I hit the bottom of the jar! :roll:

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:45 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

BTW RR, I'm working on the links for ya...

I'm not trying to sound strange or anything. It's just something that I see others talking about and I am trying to find a legitimate source.

Heck, many of us "can" our produce from the garden or freezers full of beef and pork, so we can have it during the 'non-farming' months. :D

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 21:54 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I was sort of surprised that none of the "preppers" said one word about trapping. Storing food is all well and good, but if you lose it, you better be able to get more. Hunting is great, but when all the big game is gone, people who can trap will be in a good position to survive.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 22:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

redrooster wrote:
What law is that hillbilly and who made the law. I have neer heard of such

Supposedly, there is a sub-sub-bylaw in NDAA Act, signed 12/31/2011, that says you may be considered a bad person if you have more food stored than you can live on for seven days.

I have not read the text but there seems to be a whole lot of noise about it on the internet.

PostPosted: 08 Feb 2012, 23:31 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

RR- What I have been researching is not something I feel confident about posting. There are videos of Rand Paul (United States Senator) talking about this subject on CSPAN and FOX News.

Somehow, it seems to have caused quite a stir.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 03:26 
Trapper
Trapper

Have done a fare amount of research on the topic (prepping), and as a survival school instructor have gotten many emails and questions about my thoughts on it.
All my answers were right in line with how DOC thinks......"what are you going to do when your food runs out?"....is what I have always asked back. Yes I think prepping is a good thing and has its place, BUT if you have no skills such as hunting, trapping, wilderness living and woodslore.....you are going to be sucking canal water at some point!
Just my take on it.
Also there is quite a bit of stir on the net about it as well and if you "label" yourself as such.......a good way to put you and your family on the radar!

Coyote -
Bobcat -
Fox -
Mink -
Muskrat -
Marten -
Fisher -
Grinners -
Stinkers -
Fingers - 2 (good thing it was only a 110 lol)

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 20:27 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Jase, I don't think the people in the show were prepping for the " end of the world ", but rather the end of the world as we know it. One was expecting a polar shift , One an earthquake, one an oil/gas shortage, one an EMP, and some a total financial collapse. Any would cause chaos in this country, but could be survived if you are prepared, and have survival skills.

We both know that no man, the Mayans or anyone else , knows the day or the hour of the real end , but we know it is coming.

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 20:50 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

jase wrote:
And you know Rev. and you know that's right, as do I!

Ok, what's the big secret. :evil:

PostPosted: 09 Feb 2012, 22:50 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

No secret trap, it's all in the Bible............ oops, I just labeled myself as a potential terrorist. :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Too bad Wildman isn't still on here, he could have told us all about this and other equally scary new laws. :shock: :shock: :shock:

Here's some info on NDAA:

Preppers Are Now Considered To Be Potential Terrorists?
If you and your family store up lots of food, will you be identified as "potential terrorists" by law enforcement authorities? That sounds like an insane question, but sadly it has gotten to the point where "preparing for the worst" has become a "suspicious activity". Today, there are millions of preppers all across the United States, and the vast majority of them just want to be left alone and do not want the government to interfere in their lives. Storing up food is a completely peaceful activity, and preppers are generally some of the most patriotic and law-abiding people that you could ever hope to meet. Unfortunately, prepping has become associated with "extremism" by many in the government, and lately we have seen some very disturbing signs that authorities are actively seeking to gather information on preppers. So are preppers now considered to be potential terrorists? Well, read the evidence posted in the rest of this article and decide for yourself.

The other day, U.S. Senator Rand Paul gave a speech on the floor of the U.S. Senate during which he suggested that having "more than seven days of food" in your house could potentially get you branded as a "potential terrorist" by the federal government. The following is an excerpt from that speech....

Know good and well that some day there could be a government in power that is shipping its citizens off for disagreements. There are laws on the books now that characterize who might be a terrorist.

Someone missing fingers on their hands is a suspect according to the Department of Justice. Someone who has guns, someone who has ammunition that is weatherproofed, someone who has more than seven days of food in their house can be considered a potential terrorist.

If you are suspected by these activities do you want the government to have the ability to send you to Guantanamo Bay for indefinite detention?
You can see video of this speech right here. It is incredibly chilling to hear a defender of liberty such as Rand Paul warn of such things.

But just because a politician says something that does not always mean that it is true.

So is there any evidence that Americans that are storing up food are being watched by the federal government?

Unfortunately, there is. In fact, Oath Keepers has posted a report about one incident in which federal agents actually visited a food production facility and demanded the names of anyone that has been "purchasing bulk food". The following come from an article about this incident that was recently written by Rand Cardwell, the president of the Tennessee chapter of the Oath Keepers....

A fellow veteran contacted me concerning a new and disturbing development. He had been utilizing a Mormon cannery near his home to purchase bulk food supplies. The man that manages the facility related to him that federal agents had visited the facility and demanded a list of individuals that had been purchasing bulk food. The manager informed the agents that the facility kept no such records and that all transactions were conducted on a cash-and-carry basis. The agents pressed for any record of personal checks, credit card transactions, etc., but the manager could provide no such record. The agents appeared to become very agitated and after several minutes of questioning finally left with no information. I contacted the manager and personally confirmed this information.
Why in the world would federal agents be so interested in Americans that are "purchasing bulk food"?

Don't they have anything better to do?

As I have written about previously, authorities are also now using a tool developed by the CDC to conduct "door to door disaster preparedness assessments" in some areas of the United States.

The following comes from a local news report in Tennessee....

The Metro Public Health and the Tennessee Department of Health will be using a tool designed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to go door to door and check to see how disaster ready you are.

The door to door assessment will take place from 3:30 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. Thursday and from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday. It will be in 30 neighborhoods in Davidson County that have been randomly selected to be the target of a door to door assessment.
I don't know about you, but I don't want anyone coming to my door to "assess" how "prepared" I am.

This is all very, very disturbing.

Lately, the federal government seems absolutely obsessed with the distribution of food.

As author Brandon Turbeville noted recently, "the U.S. government has publicly raided organic food shops, raw milk distributors, and the Amish with guns drawn" in recent years.

Aren't there bigger threats to national security than the Amish?

Unfortunately, we now live in a "Big Brother" police state where just about anything can be considered a "suspicious activity".

In fact, according to the FBI a bulk purchase of "meals ready to eat" is now considered to be "suspicious activity" that should be reported to them.

When the "war on terror" started a decade ago, we were told that we needed to fight the terrorists "over there" so that they would not come over here.

Well, now we are being told that the United States itself is part of the "battleground" and that the "terrorists" might just be our neighbors.

We are being told that if we "see something" that we should "say something" to the government.

In essence, the federal government wants us all to "inform" on one another.

Now that most of the big name terrorists have been removed from the picture, the Obama administration and the mainstream media are really hyping the idea that "homegrown terrorism" is a grave danger.

Just check out these headlines from the past few days....

ABC News: "White House Unveils New Strategy to Fight Homegrown Terrorism"

USA Today: "White House unveils new strategy to combat homegrown terror"

CNN: "Measuring the homegrown terrorist threat to U.S. military"

The entire focus of the "war on terror" has shifted. According to FBI Director Robert Mueller, "homegrown terrorists" represent as big a threat to American national security as al-Qaeda does at this point.

America is rapidly changing, and not for the better. All of this paranoia is going to rip this country apart.

In addition, have you noticed how they have taken the word "Islamic" out of their description of the terrorists and have replaced it with words like "extremist" and "extremism"?

Well, the truth is that just about anyone can be considered an "extremist" in one sense or another.

In fact, a recent Salon article asked this question: "Are Evangelicals A National Security Threat?"

These days, if you support an "alternative" political candidate there is a good chance that you will be labeled as an extremist.

During the 2008 election, one law enforcement report identified supporters of presidential candidates Ron Paul, Chuck Baldwin, and Bob Barr as potential terrorists.

Today, if you have a religious or political ideology that differs from the "orthodoxy" of the federal government then you are probably considered to be an "extremist".

Beliefs that were once considered normal are now considered to be "dangerous" and "radical".

For example, one unclassified Department of Homeland Security report published a couple of years ago entitled "Right-wing Extremism: Current Economic and Political Climate Fueling Resurgence in Radicalization and Recruitment" claimed that a belief in Bible prophecy "could motivate extremist individuals and groups to stockpile food, ammunition and weapons."

During a Congressional hearing earlier this year, U.S. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee warned that "Christian militants" might try to "bring down the country" and that such groups need to be investigated.

Back on February 20, 2009, the State of Missouri issued a report entitled "MIAC Strategic Report: The Modern Militia Movement". That report warned that the following types of people may be potential terrorists....

*anti-abortion activists

*those that are against illegal immigration

*those that consider "the New World Order" to be a threat

*those that have a negative view of the United Nations

As I have written about previously, a very revealing document obtained by Oath Keepers shows that the FBI is actually instructing store owners to report many new forms of "suspicious activity" to them.

So what does the FBI consider "suspicious activity" to include? According to the document, the FBI now considers "suspicious activity" to include the following....

*paying with cash

*missing a hand or fingers

*"strange odors"

*making "extreme religious statements"

*"radical theology"

*purchasing weatherproofed ammunition or match containers

*purchasing meals ready to eat

*purchasing night vision devices, night flashlights or gas masks

All of this is completely and totally ridiculous.

Law enforcement authorities should quit worrying about preppers. The vast majority of us that are preparing for the hard times that are coming truly love this country, are completely and totally non-violent, and just want to be left alone.

There are real threats to national security out there, but the federal government refuses to address them. For example, our border with Mexico is wide open and it has been documented that terror groups are working in northern Mexico and have been coming across the border on a regular basis.

But instead of securing the border, the Obama administration is granting "backdoor amnesty" to illegal aliens instead.

In addition, law enforcement authorities should look into the massive breach of national security that the "Fast and Furious" scandal represents. With the full knowledge of the Department of Justice, ATF agents facilitated the sale of thousands of guns to Mexican drug cartels and dropped all surveillance on those weapons once they crossed the border. Those guns will be used to kill people (including Americans) for many years to come.

In fact, there is so much corruption and so many "potential terrorists" in Washington D.C. that it should be more than enough to keep law enforcement officials busy for a very long time.

So leave preppers alone.

Preppers are not a threat. They

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 21:26 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

doc- Back in the '80s "preppers" would have been called "survivalists". You may want to see if you can find the book Life After Doomsday (1980) by Bruce Clayton from some used book place. I bought it when I was a senior in high school. A lot of it deals with post-nuclear war survival but a lot of other useful info as well. After the Soviet Union fell, I got fat and lazy and didn't keep things up much but there's still potential. At least I'll go down swinging. No one is going to put a micro chip in me or put a bar code on my forehead. If "they" would ever try to make me do something as federal employee that went against the American people as inferred in some of your other posts, I'd be screaming to the rooftops to any one that would listen. Or I'd quit. If "they" truly tried to force me to do such things, then they better cut off my index fingers and gouge out my eyes, because if I ever got loose, "they" would pay for things!!!

If things truly hit the fan and modern life is drastically disturbed over very large areas and for considerable amounts of time, then you all that live in more rural areas, especially with terrain features, and are already somewhat self-sufficient, would probably be in far better shape than suburbia land. And I don't think suburbia land and the central cities can control the rural land, even with a lot of technology. Developed land in the CONUS is less than 10% (closer to 5%) of the total area. Even with great leadership. I truly doubt that the countryside (and there would be millions more from metro areas that sided with traditional American values who would join up with rural people against some sort of totalitarian government in action) could be controlled against its will. What worked in Nazi Germany and Stalinist Russia would have a hard time working here. Whole different histories. But I suppose someone could always try....

I also think you give the fed government too much credit in its ability to carry such actions out. Granted, I work for an agency that doesn't regulate anything or is involved in security, but I just don't see that much coordination potential or willpower (leadership) to implement such actions. And I doubt if large portions of the military or law enforcement would go along with such dramatic actions. Those people aren't zombies and also have free will. We're not talking about Ruby Ridge or Waco but a national scale event. And they couldn't do it with foreigners. The Europeans aren't breeding enough to keep their populations as Europeans. And for the rest, how long do you think they would last in the hills of WV or PA or anyplace else off of an Interstate highway???

And if its truly the book of Revelation played out, then it’s pretty much out of our hands anyway. I know what side I'm on. I pity the souls on the other side...

Now, I'm going to go do my taxes so I can get some money back and pays some debts...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 22:49 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

PC , I agree with a lot of what you say, and hope that you are right about the rest. Without saying all that I want to say, I know there are a lot of people in the military and law enforcement who believe in the constitution , but there are also a lot of people in the military and law enforcement who literally Don't KNOW what the constitution actually says. These young people haven't been taught history like we were. They take an oath to defend the constitution, just like the President and members of congress do, but how many members of congress really give a rat's (I'm an idiot, I just tried to cheat the profanity filter) about the constitution ?

I better stop now. :x :x :x

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 23:04 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Didn't Chicago ban handguns for 28 years and law enforcement upheld those laws and 'enforced' them even if it was against the constitution? I believe that the "law enforcement" were typical American people...

Quoting CNN..."In another dramatic victory for firearm owners, the Supreme Court has ruled unconstitutional Chicago, Illinois', 28-year-old strict ban on handgun ownership, a potentially far-reaching case over the ability of state and local governments to enforce limits on weapons."
Link: http://articles.cnn.com/2010-06-28/just ... s=PM:CRIME

So, my question is...if it is a law, why would the average law enforcement officer enforce that law? Using the above example about refusing to enforce that specific law...many more others will fill your shoes and gladly do it.. Even if it goes against the Constitution. It was done for 28 years, including young and old. :D

PostPosted: 11 Feb 2012, 23:55 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

hillbilly- I'll let those involved (either active or former) in law enforcement tell how they would handle potential MAJOR societal collapse issues. There are laws that are found all the time that are unconstitutional. As much as I find such big city gun control efforts repugnant, I think its a sizeable leap forward to think that most current law enforcement personnel would be involved in forcing large numbers of people against their will into armed detention camps, cutting off the free press from reporting on current events, or massive armed attacks against civilians (like what is happening in Syria now). I can't see my old neighbor (who is a sgt. in the local police force) rounding up people by gun point and forcing them into camps. And I can just about guarantee that the SDANG would not use its military training to intern their families and friends into such camps, destroy local tv and radio stations from telling what was going on, or to use military operations to fight their same families and friends. Perhaps I'm wrong and perhaps we'll find out sometime in the future. We all make our own choices...

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 12 Feb 2012, 00:08 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I so hope you are right PC.

What was it that Rahm Emmanuel said , " Never let a good disaster go to waste " ?

Lots of "Japanese " Americans who were put in concentration camps during WW2 might be a little skeptical.

The Katrina gun ban happened much more recently and was enforced by , oops, current law enforcement personnel. :shock: