Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:06

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Boiling skulls
PostPosted: 13 Nov 2011, 13:47 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I have a few skulls that I would like to bleach up and possibly sell. I recently boiled up an antelope skull foir a European mount but took large tissue such as the eyes and brain out ahead of time. I have smaller skulls that I would like to boil off now (muskrat, skunk, an old sun dried mink). My question for you guys that have cleaned up skulls before is do you throw the whole heads in (eyes, tongues, brains) and then pick away the cooked tissue, OR get the non-bone tissue partially cooked and still somewhat soft and easily removable, OR do you clean out the soft tissue first (I'm not real fired up about dealing with the raw brain of a skunk). Your experiences and suggestions are welcomed!!

Genesis 1:26

Post subject: Re: Boiling skulls
PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 08:52 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i did a skunk 2 weeks ago i throw the whole head in boiling water fur on and all then once its boiled for a while ill scrape and change water and boil some more everything falls right off

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 09:25 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Doc is the one that does many, many skulls and has quite a collection....

The few that I do, I trim as much meat as possible, remove the eyeballs then I do NOT BOIL but simmer for a few hours and then clean the meat off. Hard boiling seems to damage the skulls (in my opinion). Plus the teeth seem to come out quicker in a rolling boil.

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 10:39 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I skin the head first, then simmer them in water with a lil bit of dish soap in it, don't let the water boil though because the teeth will fall out eaiser. Change the water every so often and pick at it until all the flesh and stuff is off. Instead of traditional bleach I use "salon grade" hydrogen peroxide (I wanna say its like 60%), you paint it on like you would staining a piece of wood. This gets the skull a nice clean white color without degrading the bone like the bleach does.

Coon: 31
Yotes: 3
Bobcats:
Rats: 2
Mink: 1
Grinners: 4
Stinkers: 2

PostPosted: 14 Nov 2011, 21:59 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Skin out the skull. Fill a bucket with pond of creek water and leave the skull in it for about 3 weeks. Plug your nose when ya dump it.

Beaver--2
Muskrat-0
Squirrel-6
Fox------2
Coon----1

PostPosted: 15 Nov 2011, 17:12 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

I agree with swamp and jeep. I never boil skulls. Remove as much meat and fur as possible then simmer. I usually simmer them several times, removing as much loose tissue as possible between each simmering. Be real careful not to lose teeth, they will loosen during simmering too, but not as fast as if you boil the skull. I use a soft wire that is hooked on the end to remove as much of the brains as possible after the first simmering. After that, you can usually get the remaining brains out by submersing the skull in water then shaking the water and brains out.

Woodswalkers method works good too. I have done many skulls that way when the weather is warm and you can do it outside.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.