Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 17 Oct 2017, 06:38

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 12:23 
Trapper
Trapper

Looking at some trucks so that I'm ready for trapping season this year. I've always relied on friends and family members in the past but this year I need to get my own....I've been looking at an older Toyota Tacoma (1998 EXT CAB 4X4) has about 136K miles...wondered how many guys on here drive these older Tacomas and if I'm looking in the right direction. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 12:35 
Trapper
Trapper

I drive a 2002 Tacoma. I bought it new and it's got about 140,000 miles on it now. Never had any trouble, I've changed the oil, front brakes once, flushed the radiator and transmission once and that's about it. I've got the original spark plugs in there and they look like they're still new. It's never burned or leaked a drop of oil. It's the 3rd toyota I've had now and I've never had one break down on me yet.

There is a recall out for body rust around those years, mine passed the inspection and got an undercoating for free. You should probably look into that before you buy.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 13:07 
Trapper
Trapper

Didn't know about the recall, thanks for the heads up. My buddy bought a 96' with 150k miles and he has since put another 100k miles on it and it still seems to run fine. I wondered if this was typical of these Tacomas, so I figured I would ask some more outdoorsman..thanks again.

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 15:24 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

98 is old? heck where i come from most people drive around 86 toyotas all beat up they are like gold around here, its really hard to get your hands on one here in wisconsin they go so fast when someone sells. GREAT trucks!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 17:17 

What you need is a 1965 International Scout!

PostPosted: 08 Aug 2011, 20:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

The Tacoma's are a great truck. Dad just got his a while back and loves it. We got to test it out on a couple muddy hills and it handled great, it looks pretty good too.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 05:08 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

mlb888 wrote:
...I've been looking at an older Toyota Tacoma (1998 EXT CAB 4X4) has about 136K miles...

That's newer than any truck[20] I own :shock: . Only owned one Toy but she was a good machine. The Japs made a good machine and we could have learned from them but instead we didn't :evil: .

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2011, 08:37 
Trapper
Trapper

I wish I had a picture of my buddies Tacoma that he has absolutely hammered, but yet it still keeps going... I don't know a thing about auto mechanics so when I start looking at a used truck that is over 10 years old I get hesitant...thats partially why I thought I would ask some of you about your thoughts. I'm just excited for the upcoming year, and hopefully I'll have a new truck to check my line with.

That International Scout was actually pretty sweet, nothing would please me more that to pass that bad boy off to my daughter when she turns 16. I'm sure she'd love it too. :--D