Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 23:02

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Best fish for coon bait
PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 13:55 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

I have always used skipjack herring for coon bait and the work great for me but this year i havent been able to catch hardly any and my bait supply isnt very big for trapping season yet. I do have a lot of paddlefish scraps and some silver carp but i was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a kind of wild fish that works good for coon bait or maybe another bait source.

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 14:08 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Asian(silver) carp work great. We used and still do fish scraps after we dress the ones we like to eat. If I was you I'd make up some fish oil too. I think its more effective in many situation and easier to carry, store and deal with I think. Boys took a bunch of our scraps from the last few days and have a bunch perculating. You can use the scraps from that for bait or just dump it if you prefer fresh? Any fish will work to an extent for bait and any of some is better then none of any others. The oilier bait fish like herring, shad etc along with gar, carp, suckers and the asians would be my first choice for fresh fish bait. Any "trash" or nuisance fish around you would be a good choice too I think as sometimes you can take them without rod and reel. Is there commercial fishermen in your area? Most of them here will give you all the scraps, guts, carcass's, heads etc you will need. When we pick some up from nonrelatives I always buy some fish too or if they have a truck farm/garden etc we buy some to show them we appreciate it. Good Luck

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 14:38 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

rotted fish..been using dead goldfish..they are casualties from the pet shop..they keep them for me..I go around once a week and get them..after a couple days by the wood stove they are ready to use..

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 17:03 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

I'm saving up scraps from any fish we keep, and I've just taken up bowfishing (no luck yet, but I'm addicted) carp for bait. Any fish should do though...

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 11 Jun 2011, 17:31 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Virtually any fish will work. If your going to stick with wild fish, for around here (kansas), your best options are trout, catfish, or carp. For bait purposes really, we can go to the store and stock up on cheap jack mackerel for just about as much as it would cost us to go out and catch fish, plus the jack mackerel has more smell to it. For fish oil, it is a different story, almost gotta go with fish you catch or shoot for it.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 13 Jun 2011, 11:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks for the replies everybody. I have one more question. I have tried to make fish oil before from carp. I didnt turn out very well. I think the problem may have been that bugs got through the cloth i had over the top but im not sure. Anybody have tips on making fish oil with bugs getting to it?

Muskrat-6
Otter-5
Grinner-12
Skunk-1