Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 14:31

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Good News from the Doc
PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 17:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We got transferred to a bigger hospital last night for my amputation Wednesday. This morning they werent sure how high the amputation would be for certain. The doc had several others here read the MRI's and they decided to wait. Knee scooter and a custom boot for now and a recheck in 6 months to a year unless problems develope. Better news then hitting the lottery. Thanks to all for the well wish's and prayers. We've got some lifestyle changes to make for certain.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 17:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Good luck with it all mate.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 18:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

great news Back..

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 18:22 
Sounds like real good news... Do what the Doc says, he is supposed to know more than you.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 18:58 
Best of luck and a speedy recovery.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 19:10 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Always good to hear a report like that. Best wishes on your future check ups Woodsman!

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 19:40 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Goodluck and prayers sent.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 19:46 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thank you all. Dietician came in with menu's and meal plans, ugh. It'll be different to eat healthy like this but we'll make it thru. 70 carb diet on top of a diabetic diet sure isnt biscuits and gravy for breakfast with fried taters, lol.

PostPosted: 10 May 2011, 22:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That is good news BWM, I am sorry I never read you were even havin problems, hope it all works out good for you.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 06:47 

Our thoughts and prayers are with you! Good luck and hope all goes well Backwoodsman.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 06:51 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Back,,did not know you were having trouble. what were the drs going to take off? susie and i will be praying for you ,,hoping you get to feeling better,,utah

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 08:21 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Their plan was to amputate my right leg about 6"-8" below the knee today. Still not out of the woods but the infection doctor just came in and said oral anti-biotics would probably take care of the infection if any is present. 8 doctors and 9 radiologists(that we know of) have read the MRI's, X-rays etc. It's been a roller coaster since the amputation was confrimed friday. Ankle and leg are still broke so little weight bearing until a custom boot is fitted in about two weeks. Picking up a kneee scooter as we leave town pretty soon. Thank you all. Hospital did let me have biscuits and gravy with fried taters for breakfast but the portions were smaller then what Im used to, lol. It was certainly a wake up call. Diabetis is nothing to toy with or ignore. Coonhunting and hounding days are done. We've been talking about taking up running rabbits again with beagles so I'll have to go on short hunts or hunt off a 4 wheeler etc.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 08:40 
Happy to hear it is working out

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 09:06 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Great news!
and I see you are already making plans.
You are an inspiration to those of us wearing out body parts.

May God be with those who are attending to your needs.

PostPosted: 11 May 2011, 10:34 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

It's good you can be so upbeat BWM. Sounds like you know how to make lemonade out of sour lemons! Kudos to you for having such a high spirit! :wink:

PostPosted: 12 May 2011, 16:14 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Awww...wasbackwoodsman...sorry to hear this but I do know a young man who lost his leg about the same as you will. He played highschool football no problem with a prostectic. Technology is amazing and you'll be back up and moving in no time. I'll be praying for you too, hang in there!

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 08:50 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Well so far so good. The Cellulitis is gone as far as they can tell. The infection they thought they seen was actually Sharko syndrome which is from what I gather damaged tissue and bone from Diabetis. Ive never been one to whine and cry. Most of these problems are my own fault. Nurses and doctors kept mentioning I seemed in fairly good spirits and I finally asked one if they preferred I be on the floor in the fetal position crying. Docs think diet and meds will solve most of the problem. Eventually I'll need surgery but as for now it's 6 months to a year away. Going tobacco free is their next goal. Ive smoked for right at 30 years so that may not be a goal of mine :oops:. I only smoke 5 to 7 or so a day anyhow. The new patchs I used in the hospital were alot better then the ones that were available a couple of decades ago. I didnt hardly have any cravings while in there for a little over a week. Thank you everyone.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 12:00 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

That seems to be good news BWM, glad to hear it. It is good that you have high spirits and aren't "wallowing in" something you really can't do much about (now). I am a firm believer that unless a person "wants to", quitting smoking is pretty much out of the question. I think you can overcome the nicotine addiction with meds, but losing the desire for the pacification
that a cigarette, pipe or cigar gives you is very hard to deal with. Best of luck in any attempt you may have in quitting. I hope you continue to get good reports on this ordeal.

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 14:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

wasbackwoodsman wrote:
Well so far so good. The Cellulitis is gone as far as they can tell. The infection they thought they seen was actually Sharko syndrome which is from what I gather damaged tissue and bone from Diabetis. Ive never been one to whine and cry. Most of these problems are my own fault. Nurses and doctors kept mentioning I seemed in fairly good spirits and I finally asked one if they preferred I be on the floor in the fetal position crying. Docs think diet and meds will solve most of the problem. Eventually I'll need surgery but as for now it's 6 months to a year away. Going tobacco free is their next goal. Ive smoked for right at 30 years so that may not be a goal of mine :oops:. I only smoke 5 to 7 or so a day anyhow. The new patchs I used in the hospital were alot better then the ones that were available a couple of decades ago. I didnt hardly have any cravings while in there for a little over a week. Thank you everyone.

"The Cellulitis is gone as far as they can tell." My young strong healthy Marine had Cellulitis and nearly lost his foot. I'm so glad to hear it's gone!!! That is a scary scary thing to go through for anyone! and he did call home a cry to me. You guys tring to be tough...Ugh...I can tell you i was worried beyond belief when his sargent told me he was worried as well. He almost lost a foot, didn't graduate and we rushed down there, thank goodness you both have beat cellulitus, it very dangerous for sure. Hang in there!!! And yes quit smoking now that you've gone this far keep going! I watched my father-in-law die from not being able to breath....that is way scarier than loosing a leg. For your sake...do it! I'll keep you in my prayers!

PostPosted: 16 May 2011, 19:18 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Hope it all works out, being sick just ain't no fun.

PostPosted: 17 May 2011, 13:06 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Check out http://www.wiggleyourtoes.org/, the Wiggle Your Toes Foundation. The founder is a friend of mine who lost both legs at the knee in a car accident. They do an awful lot of good.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 21:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks KD.

PostPosted: 18 May 2011, 22:12 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

back- Sorry to hear of your health problems. The big D can be a bear. My wife has had it for about 15 years but so far as dodged a lot of bullets (no cardiovasular disease, eye, kidney, or peripheral circulation issues yet). But she's been extremely lucky because the disease can take some people quick, especially if they're "brittle" and can go high or low very quickly. I'm glad your infection is gone. There's still some bug juice that works. Great to keep the spirits up!! Good luck on fighting the big T habit. I think there's some people that get physically addicted to tobacco much easier than others. I used to smoke (and inhale) little cigars for about 3-4 years, bar smoke cigis, and big cigars when I could afford them and still indulge in one once an while. But I can leave cigars alone for months or years at a time. Some people if they quit smoking and smoke two cigis, its back on full time. Genetically, there something different between people.

Prayers and best wishes that you beat back these health issues. We need more of your trapping and other outdoor stories and technical advice!!! :)

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 11:44 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Thanks NonPC. Geting the meds or insulin adjusted correctly is one of the bigger battles. I dont like to eat 3 meals a day so if I dont think ahead and take all the meds mine can drop to 40 pretty easy. I smoked 4 yesterday. Thanks for the acknowledgements. Hopefully I can post some more recipes and stories to help with the summer duldrums. Even with me off work we're carrying full plates. We have a Relay for Life Team. We are active in our local Pink Ribbon campaignes. Youth football started last week. Gardening at the farm and now at our house. Fighting for custody of our oldest grandson now. Wife is still going to Nursing school just to name a few things. Isnt enough hours in a day.

PostPosted: 20 May 2011, 12:16 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

staying busy is good medicine 8|- keeps you out of trouble. :wink: .court next week for us on the grandson..