Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 05:44

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: need advice on a bow
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 08:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

at a sporting goods store near my house there is a hoyt intruder in really good condition (70 pound pull) for $114. what are your thoughts on it?

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 08:08 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

What accessories does the bow come with? Quiver, arrows, arrow rest, site? Is it the correct draw length for you? Have you shot the bow? I would never buy a bow, used OR new, without shooting a few dozen arrows with it. Hoyt products are normally pretty good, you just have to be very careful when buying used equipment, especially bows, since you do not know if it has ever been dry-fired or otherwise abused.

Just my two cents. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 08:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

the draw length is good for me. right now I can not pull it back at 70 pounds but they said they could get it down to 55 which I can do. all it comes with is a rest one of those that flips down when you shoot. the next time I go over there I will shoot it (they have a range)

beaver-4
muskrat-3
mink-2

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 08:31 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Does it have sights? Will you be using a release and do you own one? The reason I ask is cost... sights can cost anywhere from $30 to $180. A release will typically run anywhere from $25 to $75. A quiver is another $25 to $50, not to mention arrows and broadheads, which could run you another $50 to $100 per dozen.

The reason I am mentioning all of this is... would a used bow be worth it? A reputable archery shop may have some new bow packages available which would come with most everything, and for not that much more money.

I guess it comes down to how much do you plan on using it, what is your budget, have you ever bowhunted before (a used bow may be the better choice if you are a beginner). Just weigh all of your options before you jump in and spend the money.

Again, just my two cents. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 09:00 
I'm with KD on this one. If you're going to spend the 115 dollars, save it, and get a new one for a couple hundred like a browning micro adrenaline or martin jaguar. Both of these bows are about the same size as the one you're looking at but can be found new moderately priced for under 300.00.

Say you do get that bow, but it has to be restrung, new peep, new kisser, new trigger loop, new notches, new silencers, those drop aways are always malfunctioning, new arrows, new sites, and all of that... only to find it has been dry fired and the enxt time you shoot it, or perhaps the 12th time you shoot it, it practically explodes as the arms splinter...

All that money gone since there's no warranty. Go to a good pro shop, and get one from them

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 10:56 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I too would go with a new one .I shoot a Martin Firecat .which I seen my pro shop owner open the box and pull it out new.I never buy a bow thats been hanging on the wall either no telling what it has seen .

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Apr 2007, 13:22 
Trapper
Trapper

I agree with them used bows are to risky. You do not know how it was treated. Save your money and buy a new one you can find package deals that come with most of the equipment you will need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 00:20 
Trapper
Trapper

i would beg to differwith the ones who look aginst buying used im a bow tech man my self but alot of my friends shoot hoytt and they are really smooth and most hoyttes sell for around 600 so it is a good deal depending on how old it is im not sure on this bow but i know my bow tech has a life time warrenty with no questions asked returns i would look into this if it has it then it would be a good buy also it sounds like you are new to bow hunting and buy this bow would be good for u casue u will be able to grow with the bow if u buy a youth model or some thing that has a max of 55 lbs or to short of a max draw in three years when u grow u will need a new bow but with this one u can use it for ever and not out grow it that my 2 cents worth for free now thats a good deal lol
if you are going to go new route i highly recomend a bow tech matthews or hoytt these bow are much higher price but they are worth it in the long run i know when i bought my bow tech i accidentaly dry fired it in the bow shop the day i got it and they sent it back didnt cost me a dime for repairs and it really didnt need any anyway im not downing the bows lil bit mentioned they are all good ones and may be better but i brag on what i know my best advice is buy what feels the best for u shoot em all dont look at price if it cost alot save and get what u really want and u will be able to use it for as long as you want but make sure they have a good warrenty cause u neverknow what will happen i preffer the bow tech warrenty when the guy tells u if u run it over with a truck well fix it for u free but i guess it jut my 2 cents well ig uess it is 4 cents now u jsut getting all kinds of good deals let us know what u do

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 07:01 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Now I beg to differ I dont think them Mathew's or hoytt are any better bow than a lot of other bow's Its like buying a tractor if you get a John Deere you are paying more for the name.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2007, 23:19 
Trapper
Trapper

well i bow hunt and i never bought a used bow, but i do know buying a used bow is like buyin a used refrigarator, its a risk, but sometimes you can get a steal and i would inspect it really good and shoot it before doing any kind of dealing. and check out the accesories on it to. most of the time you got 10 year old accesories and need to do some upgradin, so just check er' our real well cause there arent no goin back on a deal like that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 10 Apr 2007, 12:08 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

This thread has served it's purpose. It is now locked. Thank you for your contributions and comments.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 11 posts ]