It is currently 12 Dec 2017, 22:42

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: alaska fishing pics
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2011, 23:00 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

45 lb lingcod

same lingcod underwater shot coming into the boat

dusky rock fish pulled a school up off a rock pile close enough to the surface to catch them on the fly rod!!

Heres a small halibut i got early in the season, about 90 lbs

a pic of about a 75 lb coming up to the surface for for a catch and release

heres a winter pic looking over the area that i hunt and fish

Post subject: Re: alaska fishing pics
PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 00:01 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Are you hunting for "black-tails" over there ?

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 01:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i hunted the area in the aerial photo and got a buck and doe blacktail this fall, next year i am going to go for a larger buck lol, sorta shot the first "skiper" i saw, a spike buck, was after getting meat more then a trophy. I also had some limitations on my gear due jsut relocating to this area from a different hatchery. This year how ever i have my .300 win mag, nice optics on it and binocs to do a better spot and stalk approach. Altho my version of spot and stalk is usually pretty short, inside 400 yards i am pretty comfortable for a rested shot. My last couple deer have been face shots, from 75- 300 yards. :shock: :mrgreen: I like stopping them in their tracks, specialy up here if they are out in the open, keeps me safer in big open areas where said bear can't sneak up behind you as easily

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 05:22 

Very, Very cool 8) . I'm guessing the fishing pics are not recent.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 06:07 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Those are great photos. I wasn't aware of the ugly lingcod fish! :shock: Have you ever read the book "Alaskas No 1 Guide-Andrew Berg"? It is some good reading about early Alaska.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 07:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Nice pic's there dude!!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 07:59 
POST-JACKING AND PIXEL SIZE CZAR (P.J.A.P.S.C.)

Wow Scun, great pics. I sure never saw a ling that big :shock: . That halibut would have more meat on him than all the fish I catch in a season :roll: . Thanks for sharing. :D

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 09:42 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great pictures. When I visit Newfoundland we catch cod, they call them rock cod. I'm not sure if their the same as lingcod, but they look about as ugly. Sure are good to eat though.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 09:47 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Chinook wrote:
Great pictures. When I visit Newfoundland we catch cod, they call them rock cod. I'm not sure if their the same as lingcod, but they look about as ugly. Sure are good to eat though.

I'd have to say that an ugly fish is about like an ugly woman....both are useful when you forget about their looks.... :roll:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 10:30 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Great pics ! That rock fish looks a lot like our smallmouth bass, only much bigger.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 12:14 

Swamp Rat wrote:
Chinook wrote:

I'd have to say that an ugly fish is about like an ugly woman....both are useful when you forget about their looks.... :roll:

You were never a rancher were you :shock:

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 13:32 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

those pics were all from this last september/ october. I was going to upload some better quality one, and some bigger fish, but the dang photo bucket wants me to modify the heck out of them to download... I have a couple hunting pics i shall try to upload as well for you guys!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 13:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

That looks like a cod fish with an attitude!! Looks a bit more agressive than the N. Atlantic cod. How big is the largest halibut you've caught or seen caught? They can get several hundred pounds and don't they have pretty significant TEETH on the bottom side of their head??

Just some professional curosity. It looks like from the aerial that your hunting area was clear cut a while back pretty substantially. What are the main tree types they harvest there and how fast is the regrowth rate? I have a pretty good working knowledge of forestry practices in much of the conterminous US. Have seen some repeat imagery of coastal AK but would like to learn more.

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 17:11 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Man I gotta get up there. I love to fish just for the halibut..... LMAO... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 21:09 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Looks like a great place to hunt, fish and trap!

PostPosted: 20 Mar 2011, 22:13 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

nonPCfed- the only trees we have on the siland are spruce. I am not sure which spruce it is, i thought they might be blue spruce, because they are pointer as h*ll!! But most of them lack any of the color. As for a forresty plan i think they had one about 10 years ago, i am not sure if they have one right now :--o :--o ! Seems like they are over cutting to me, i have heard rumor that they have been having to cut more and more just to pay for the operation, but that as just rumor. It is nice to have some of the clear cuts, when i lived in maine they had a very good forest management plan. Even if it did look like a giant checker board, they atleast had certain plots and they stayed to them. I am not sure of the regrowth timing, but i that aerial picture on the far left you can see that one is a really new cut, that was 2 years ago, and the other clear cuts are 4+ years old. They don't seem to grow back to quickly. The undergrowth is thicker then pea soup though! Lots and lots of sticker bushes and snags to get your feet wrapped up in.

The biggest halibut i caught so far has only been about 100 lbs. I have helped catch/release 2 over 150 lbs, and i have seen one 238 lb er and 1 429 lber!!! The biggest lingcod i caught was 55 lbs, and the biggest i have seen so far was 65 lbs.

PostPosted: 21 Mar 2011, 23:05 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

scunfer- You're probably close to the mark when you heard that they had to cut more to keep their lumber operation going. During times of economic slowness, the raw commodity price of the wood (stumpage price if still standing or for pulp wood cords after they cut it) goes down in price because of less demand. But companies doing the cutting/manufacturing still have the bills to pay, especially if they have loans to pay from days gone by. So, if the product is only worth half as much, you have to cut twice as much to stay even.

A great example is from the mid-1980s in the South. Many timber companies had taken out loans (buying land, etc.) in the late 1970s-1981 when interest rates were crazy high and then came the big recession of 1982. They still had to service those loans with wood they were getting less money on, so they cut more. 1986 was the single largest cutting year in the South since the 1920s. Perhaps sort of the same thing has happened down there in the past few years.

There doesn't appear to be a lot of industrially owned timber land in AK but Native Alaskan corporations own about 25%, so maybe their business needs had to be met with the increased cutting. The state also owns a sizeable share of timber and perhaps they let these companies cut more to keep them afloat financially.

The upland spruce is probably white spruce and the spruce in wetter areas is probably black spruce. Lots of trees in coastal AK but they don't grow back anywhere near as fast as they do down in Swamp Rat land. In a decade or two, you'll probably be walking under the new trees but that stand won't be cut again in our life times.

Genesis 1:26