Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 10:41

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trap Question
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 20:18 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hi,
I'm recently retired and hope to learn about trapping. What trap would you suggest for a novice in North Texas to trap small fur animals?

Thanks,
Larry

Post subject: Re: Trap Question
PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:05 
LarrytX. Welcome aboard. North Texas... I was born in Gainsville and raised in Marietta, OK. Small world I guess. When you say small fur animals, do you mean Racoons, possums and skunks? or smaller like rabbits and squirrels.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:17 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Hi,

It is a small world. I take our sale animals to Gainesville Livestock Auction which is the closest auction to our place. I'm not up on the terminology used in trapping and apologize for that. Rabbits and squirrels are what I'm interested in. Thanks for taking the time to help.

Larry

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 21:49 
I will let someone else answer your questions then, cause I have no knowledge about rabbits and squirrels traps other than live traps. If you just want to take care of some nusience animals, live traps are pretty easy. If you are thinking foot holds, then wait for better info from some of the other guys. Good Luck!!

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 22:18 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanks - I got a couple of the small live traps from Tractor Supply Company, but haven't caught a squirrel. I see them daily getting the pecans from the trees in the back yard and head out across the pasture. Collin County passed an ordiance that you cannot shoot a firearm unless you have large amount of land. I washed the traps and sprayed them with apple cidar vinegar; used bird seed for a lure and and put sunflower seeds for bait in the back of the trap. Now,I'm thinking I don't have the right traps. Maybe I'm using the wrong bait. I may get some peanuts tomorrow and try that. If that doesn't work, maybe someone will have some suggestions on getting better traps of some sort.

Thanks for your help.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 22:33 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Check your local regulations on air rifle laws. If legal, your squirrel problems will be solved.

Also, a pecan taped or glued to the pan of a trap will catch a squirrel, but again, make sure it is legal in your town.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 23:32 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I do have a pellet gun that I can give him a try. I shot a rat in the barn with it once and it killed it DRT (Dead Right There).

Honestly, trapping sounds interesting in its self. I'll continue to read posts on the group and maybe get into it after the squirrel and rabbit population at the house is on the decline.

PostPosted: 10 Dec 2010, 23:47 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

LarryTX wrote:
I do have a pellet gun that I can give him a try. I shot a rat in the barn with it once and it killed it DRT (Dead Right There).

Honestly, trapping sounds interesting in its self. I'll continue to read posts on the group and maybe get into it after the squirrel and rabbit population at the house is on the decline.

If you can kill a rat with it you can kill a squirrel.

Box traps work good for rabbits, here anyway, don't know about in TX. I make mine from scrap lumber. Bait mine with apples.

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 01:18 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

"The squirrel king" from Lufkin TX has few trix up him sleeve I guess.

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 10:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

For the squirrels try some cheap oily peanut butter,and I use apples for rabbits.

Greg

Beaver-
Fox-
Yote-

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 16:05 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Greg,

Thanks for the help.

Larry

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 00:37 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

I know that Fuzz catches BUNCHES of squirrels with snares, you may pm him and try to get him to describe to you how he does it, he is a pro at it. He's the one that got me interested in doing it.

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 10:15 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Thanks - I can't find FUZZ on the messages received. Does he have another name?

Larry

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 10:19 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

What kind of traps are you allowed to use down there?

Greg

Beaver-
Fox-
Yote-

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 15:07 
PSYCHO SASQUATCH
PSYCHO SASQUATCH

Welcome to the WAT...

Ditto the PB for squirells. My boys do a number on them with some PB and birdseed.

Don't know about rabbits, can't trap them here in NY.

Lifetime:
Red Squirrel- 4 (in the garage)
Beaver- 1
Coyote- 1
Fisher-3
Raccoon- 3
Red Fox- 1
Skunk-1
My left index and middle finger in a 110
Left hand in a 220

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 16:25 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

LarryTX wrote:
Thanks - I can't find FUZZ on the messages received. Does he have another name?

Larry

I believe his full name on here is fuzz269

"The bitterness of low quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" ----Benjamin Franklin on duke traps

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 16:56 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

LarryTX, use the SEARCH tab at the top right of your homepage screen on WAT and just type in something such as "snared squirrel" or "trapped squirrel" and it will give you the option to view the discussions with those topics. But living in Texas you should have no trouble trapping squirrels. I just use pecans for bait and sometime drill a hole and run wire thru them to keep the squirrels working to get them. No larger than our squirrels are you could use a regular rat trap on the cat squirrels and small leg holds on the fox squirrels. In the live trap just wire the bait in the back of it and it will keep their interest long enough for them to throw the trap. I understand you not being able to shoot in the city limits, but if you are outside the city limits and on "open" land you shouldn't have a problem. Are there any orchards or crop farmers in your area? Some times they welcome folks who will thin out the squirrels and coons. Good luck.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 19:31 

i dont know about squirrels, but if you get a hankerin for possums we have a resident expert... 'course i'm not naming names :P

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 09:53 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

You guys have been very helpful. Texas laws states under their "means and methods" stated that fur-bearing animals may be legally taken with firearms, foothold, conibear style, live or box traps, dogs, snares, lawful archery equipment, electronic or hand-held calls, artificial light; or by falconry except as prohibited by law. Their definition of "fur-bearning animals" doesn't include tree rats, so I guess you can "take" them by any means but those where it would be considered cruelty to animals, such as poisioning, etc.

I'll do the search suggested, and will look for Fuzz269. I have the cheap peanut butter and birdseeds so I guess that will be the first bait. Someone asked about what traps I have. The only thing I have are Havahart live traps.

I think the attempts of trapping squirrels is going to be as much, or more, fun that training the squirrel dog.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 15:59 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

You guys have been very good to help and I apprecite everyone doing what they could to help. I wanted to let you know what has occurred so that it may help someone else in my situation. An experienced trapper who works several thousand acres east of my home has offered to let me go with him to learn harvesting with traps and preparing the products he harvests. I would pay a good trapper to do this, but he has offered just to teach his skills. You don't know what this means to someone who is just "starting". If more people would do this, I'm sure the "sport" or "business" would grow. I'll continue reading your posts in hopes of learning more, but wanted to share who this man has offered. He is a member of a trapping association and you can get I'll join.

Thanks Again. You're a good group.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 16:05 

thanks Larry...i had the same thing. a local trapper took me under his wing and helped me out with equipment, knowledge, etc....its a great sport filled with great ppl. we gotta stick together! everyone should support their local trappers association!

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 21:11 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Trapping like any other craft can be learned by doing, but getting a chance to have a Mentor is the BEST ROUTE as far as I am concerned. I have been around trapping for quite a few years and learn new "tricks of the trade" from folks who see things frm a different angle. Take advantage of the Mentor and learn all you can.

PostPosted: 16 Dec 2010, 15:09 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

gregconrad wrote:
For the squirrels try some cheap oily peanut butter,and I use apples for rabbits.

Greg

Yep. Those fuzzy nut eaters are suckers for good old PB. You allowed to use body grip traps? They would work real well for bunnies. Just set them across their trails, holes, or any opening they regularly go through.