Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 08:20

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 11 Dec 2010, 19:26 
Can anyone tell me anything about this custom mountain bike that has no markings at all?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 08:22 
Trapper
Trapper

It looks like the handlebars are mounted backwards. I'm not sure what make it is with the paint job; but, I believe it to be of chain store type considering the brakes, seat, and handlebars. Of course I've been wrong before and would really need to see it to figure it out.

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 17:10 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

Wildman, how do you know it is a mountain bike? Is it just because you found it in the mountains?

PostPosted: 12 Dec 2010, 17:59 
No Swamp. I did not find it in the mountains. I paid a premium price of $15 for it. lol It is the style Swamp.

Snowshoe here are more pics. From what I can tell it is an alloy copy of Treks y-frame. I don't think it is a Trek because the welds have not been ground?

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 10:06 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

MT,

Don't think it's an Trek, the seat post doesn't go all the way through the "Y" on Trek bikes. At least the ones I've seen.

Kelley

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 10:12 
kcmendy wrote:
MT,

Don't think it's an Trek, the seat post doesn't go all the way through the "Y" on Trek bikes. At least the ones I've seen.

Kelley

It does on this one KC

http://cgi.ebay.com/TREK-PRO-ISSUE-TEAM ... 5196712107

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 17:02 
Trapper
Trapper

For $15, you can't go wrong. Be careful with caliper brakes in wet weather or or with ice and snow since they don't stop so great. Probably a wally world special would be my guess from the pictures. If it works, ride it. You did good on the price. Your front brake cable looks like it's really bad from the pictures.

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2010, 19:13 
Snowshoe Hunter wrote:
For $15, you can't go wrong. Be careful with caliper brakes in wet weather or or with ice and snow since they don't stop so great. Probably a wally world special would be my guess from the pictures. If it works, ride it. You did good on the price. Your front brake cable looks like it's really bad from the pictures.

Well Snowshoe you seem to be enjoying this almost as much as I am. Tomorrow I will put up a pic of one that is a bit "older". I am sure I will find your input just as informative and helpful as it was for this one.

PostPosted: 14 Dec 2010, 14:15 
I changed my mind about putting up the other bike. I already know what it is. This post was all about asking for help. For those that tried I thank you. For anyone interested this is what I found out after hours of research. Trek invented the y frame in the early 90s. It was a graphite model to start with. They made a metal alloy version also. I have found no pics on the alloy version. The one I have is definitely an alloy that is harder than aluminum or magnesium and tests somewhere in between the two. Other companies tried to imitate and one was nearly sued for patent infringement. My assumption is that not even a Chinese company would mass produce an imitation of the y frame as it would be using too much expensive metal. It also had many flaws and was given up for better engineered models. I think the bike is pretty cool and will keep trying to get info on it. I think my best bet for that now would be a bicycle shop in Missoula. There are a couple big bicycle shops there that mostly serve the college crowd. Being 200 miles away. It might be awhile before I go there. I might also add that brakes, seats and handlebars are irrelevant when researching specialty bicycles. Not only can they be purchased set up differently or changed. They also are often sold as just frames and built from there.