Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:15

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 14:27 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Just curious if anyone had heard anything lately? It was discussed some last year in Springfield but discussed/discussion was all that happened. Supposedly one of the anti groups pledged to get it stopped and sue the DNR if they approved a season? Our local carp cop is tight lipped about it but did say theres been some discussion again? Does anyone else have numbers of these critters around? We have alot of otter sign on the creeks we trap and several ponds have been wiped out of stocked fish this past year. We had one owner that wanted us to trap/shoot the otter(s). He was still ranting about it a few weeks ago. He found some bass heads from his prized stock(5lbers-10lbers in this pond). Our muskrat population is down also and I believe its due to the otter? We see bobcats during deer season quite often now. Our local carp cop doesnt even want to hear about them anymore. We're seeing more bobcats then grey fox now. Theres been some incidental catch's also but rumor has it they get hauled to Missouri? We watched an otter catching shad in our local municipal lake last year before dark. I can now see why they're so destructive to ponds and small waters. Alot of the shad(40 or 50) it just left on the bank, the shad were still there when we left a little before midnight. Theres a bobcat(s) over by our farm in Pike county. Several neighbors have seen it and we found where it fed on a deer carcass during the first snow. Well I'd say it was a bobcat and not a feral cat, unless feral cats get about 25lbs(?) with a cat paw print about 4" wide?

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 18:33 
Backwoodsman here is an internet article .

http://dnr.state.il.us/ORC/Wildlife/vir ... meback.htm

PostPosted: 16 Feb 2010, 18:36 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Thanks Red. Just checked out and bookmarked the site.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

PostPosted: 03 Jan 2011, 20:26 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

i was browsing around and saw this. i am in madison county and ive seen bobcats and their prints and stuff, too. So is there going to be a bobcat season?

Raccoons: 12 (1 released)
Muskrats: 13
Beaver: 5
Possums: 2

PostPosted: 06 Apr 2011, 22:05 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

We've got good populations of both here but so far there's not a season planned for either. Our bunnycop says its political. Politicians are afraid the bunny huggers will pile in here and raise Kane. We call otter big mink. We turned in several dead ones to the DNR and released some. We see bobs but so far theyve pulled out of our smaller land traps. If we jump up to more no.2's(we only use no.2 size in land sets after freeze up, usually no.2 DLS) or even into the no.3's then they'll be a problem Im afraid.

PostPosted: 21 Apr 2011, 10:28 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Headin to Springfield this afternoon so Im gonna talk to a few folks face to face. Made some phone calls yesterday. We may never see a bobcat or otter season in our lifetime. Politicians are afraid to touch the subject after the fiasco in Missouri last November. Didnt hear anything good about snare law changes either or dryland snares. Several in the DNR said they may approach the snare issue in another 3 or 4 years.

PostPosted: 26 Mar 2012, 12:21 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Any news on this?

PostPosted: 11 May 2012, 12:12 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Still nothing?

PostPosted: 07 Nov 2013, 06:49 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

We do have a limited otter season now. Been a year n a half since that thread started.