Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 01:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2010, 19:27 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

I'm posting this because I love trapping and I live in California. When I first decided to get my trappers license, not even the DFG could help me. I called everywhere and finally got a hold of some people that could help me. It wasn't as hard as they made it seem. You basically just study the test material online, go into there office make an appointment and make sure you study. Than take the test, it's a really easy test about 80 questions. You have to get better than 80 percent. Than they give you a card saying you passed and you just send it in each year with the money fir the license. When I went in to take the test the warden didn't understand why more people didn't trap. I assumed because it was the difficulty in being able to get the license and not being able to use steel traps. They also told me I was the only junior trapper they have ever seen take the test, I was 13 when I got it. I am now almost 17, so I have a lot to learn. But it really sucks that I have never met another trapper in California and want to get the word out that it's not that hard to acquire one.

PostPosted: 19 Apr 2010, 09:15 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Thanks for posting this Shane. That is good information to know.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2010, 06:42 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Congrats for taking up a sport in a state where its so heavily regulated to be almost non existent. Cages are your only tool available correct? What do you trap out there? Personaly if I had to deal with what you do and in other states I'd move.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada