Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Oct 2017, 07:11

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: pocket sets for coon
PostPosted: 10 Oct 2008, 16:55 
Trapper
Trapper

what size traps do you guys use for coon pocket sets?? in wisconsin don't our water sets have to have traps with 5 1/2 inch spread?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 04 Nov 2008, 02:00 
Trapper
Trapper

Most trappers perfer the 1.5 for pocket sets, althoe a #1 on a slide wire or trangle stake is fine if the springs are still good.
Becase I trap all leagle animals in Wisconsin, most of my traps are 1.75's with burkley springs and double swivels. They are a little overkill on rats and mink but I always set them on eather a slide wire or tangle stake to prevent wring off.
You may use any trap from # 0's up to a trap with a 8 inch jaw spread during the mink and muskrat season.

After the mink and rat season closes you may NOT set any trap with a jaw spread smaller than 5 1/2 inches.

So if you are going for late season beaver, you must use a trap with at least a 5 1/2 inch jaw spread.

I belive 5 1/2's translates to a #2 foothold. I think my 1.75's are just under 5 1/2 inches, so I can't use them after the mink and rat season closes. Bummer... they are perfectly fine for a front foot beaver catch, althoe they would'nt be my first choise.

This information is in the 08 trapping regs on page 8 under trap size.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 23 May 2009, 07:21 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Try the no.11's for coon etc at pocket sets. I think you'll like the results. Ive been taking some reds the last few years and they've even held a few coyotes that stumbled into coon, fox etc sets, not my first choice of course for 'yotes.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada

Post subject:
PostPosted: 27 May 2009, 18:24 
Trapper
Trapper

does that mean i CAN'T use my 1.5 cs set in the creek for coon? because those are not 5 1/2inches spread. but im not setting for mink or rats.. any ideas? thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: 28 May 2009, 09:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Your 1.5 coils will be fine for mink n rats. Some swear by them. Most states put a size restriction on so outlaws wont set smaller traps and claim they are for beaver.

Archery/Youth Deer Camp 2011- Everyone else in the group/camp-1 hen turkey, 1 coyote, 3 squirrel's, 1 groundhog, 1 single horn spike, 2 does, 1 button buck and 8 miss's. Youth gun deer season 2 adult does-2 doe fawns. Me-0-goose eggs-nada