Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 03:24

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: # of Bobcats in Kansas
PostPosted: 03 May 2010, 20:53 
Trapper
Trapper

I am new to trapping and recently I noticed something that confused me and don't know exactly what to think. First after reading the Kansas regulations I thought a person was allowed one Bobcat per Fur bearer license but after reading some stories and seeing some pictures I think I'm wrong and am no sure if there is a limit on bobcat in Kansas? Also I know you have to have a pelt tag(i think that's what they are called) but do you get them before or after you catch a bobcat and were do you get them? :?:

PostPosted: 05 May 2010, 15:20 
There is no limit on the number of bobcats that you can trap in Kansas. The tag that you mention has to be attached to the pelt after harvest.

PostPosted: 18 May 2010, 16:19 
THE GRINNER WHISPERER
THE GRINNER WHISPERER

DUDE!!! Go get em!! I hear scuttlebutt that they are going to do away with that pelt tag this year too, one less headache. I got 6 this year, and hoping to better that some this coming season.

The second amendment is in place in case the others are ignored.

PostPosted: 22 May 2010, 20:42 
Trapper
Trapper

Probably what confused you was that there is a bobcat permit for sale, that allows the take of one bobcat. It is meant for non-residents, particularly bowhunters, but anyone can buy it. It allows the chance to take ONE bobcat only, but at a price less than the cost of a non-resident furharvester permit (but much more than a resident furharvester permit). With a furharvester permit, there is no limit on take of bobcats.

After you harvest bobcats, you will need to take the pelt (or carcass if for taxidermy) to a KDWP office and they will put a tag on it (free) . This can be done anytime until about 7 days after close of bobcat season. You will also provide a small amount of information, such as county of harvest, date harvested, method of take, etc. This tag will then make the bobcat pelt legal to be sold in the international fur trade. There was some talk of hopefully being able to do away with the CITES tag, but my understanding is the CITES meeting did not take the bobcat off the list for these tags, but I'm not positive. I haven't heard of anything within KDWP about the tags being gone for this year, not yet anyway.

Swifty

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011, 01:22 
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Lots of cats- talked to a buyer in Hoisington said he had bought 400 2 days before the season closed.
The warden in Ellsworth Co ran out of tags in late Jan I know that so it looks like we trapped more than the state planned on