Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 20:55

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: otter trapping
PostPosted: 01 Jan 2011, 20:20 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

looKing for alittle assistance -ith some otter trapping. The closest thing to otter trapping i have done is some minK edge sets in pa, and that had limited sucess, mostly caught possum and a minK or coon in the baited sets... Only caught one minK -ith a conibear, and no lucK at all -ith snares. _asn't sure if i -as barKing up the -rong tree by essentially setting the same -ay for otter -ith larger traps. I am planning on #3 sleepy creeK coil springs, staKed -ith desposible staKes, and i have 1 220, and 1 330 and a dozen snares i can set out. Any suggestiongs -ould be greatly appreciated. I also -ouldn't mind catching beaver or fo* if they so happen to pass through the area!

Post subject: Re: otter trapping
PostPosted: 02 Jan 2011, 09:08 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

I know nothing about Alaska trapping, but I do know about conibears and you need to have them secured so that they don't leave the area if the catch is not fatal and the animal is able to wring the trap off the stablizer sticks.

PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011, 15:38 
Trapper
Trapper

I live in Petersburg in southeast alaska. I think pa is in southeast if its the same pa i'm thinking of. I trap otter haul outs along the beach. The best thing to do is find a haul out,(talk to people in your area about where and how to find them). Once you are on one find there holes and set a connibear in front of it. you can also find a trail and put a connibear on it too but i find that snares work better on trails. If you are setting inland for otters, find a beaver dam. Break a hole in the dam and put a conni in there. i have done pretty well on otters this way. With your #3's put dig a hole in a trail and put some bait ( shrimp or crab shells work good) a foot away on both sides of the trap. Don't put so much to stop them but enough to slow them down. THe steaks will work on the connibears and snares but i would use tie wire on four footholds. With the mink my biggest suggestion is save your snares. don't use anything bigger than a #155 conni for mink. a 220 will get bigger ones but will just scare the smaller ones. THe best way to catch mink is make a box of wood. fit it to your connibear or get some 1 1/2 footholds. block of one side of the box with chicken wire. put bait in the back and your trap in the opening. otters and mink are closed now but you have a whole year to plan now. good luck i hope this helps

Ermine- 8
otter- 1

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 11:36 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

what are these "haul outs" you are speaking of? I would ask locals, but theresonly 12 of us where i live on kodiak, and i am currently the most trap inclined person on site. Theres another guy here that has done some pest control work in the past, and he has a fairly general trapping knowledge as well. I am assuming that haul outs are places the otter lay on the beach, bank, or rocks and sun themselves alittle? I had been setting a short canyon that goes from one of our freshwater lakes to the ocean, theres a fish ladder through the center of it, and i thought that would funnel the buggers down to using a small area on either side to cross back and fourth, but the seem to not care whether they go across land or though this narrow corridor, i see tracks going right up a steep bank across about 100 yards and down a gradual bank to the freshwater, no good spot to set that, but i did have a trap there for fox or otter. Caught the first one in that set, but haven't had any other connections? I thought for sure that the otter would have stayed as close to the water as possible instead of taking a land route, or atleast that is how they behaved in land when i live in maine. Next season i am planning on trying to set a couple beaver dams and hopefully a couple other places to help get the numbers down alittle bit here! They get into our fish at the hatchery about this time.... thanks for the input!

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 12:24 
KING OF THE POSTERS
KING OF THE POSTERS

PM sent

PostPosted: 09 Mar 2011, 16:10 
Trapper
Trapper

the haul outs are small rock points on the beach where the otter go up into the woods and run around. they have holes up there so they run around in them too. a good way to tell if the hole is active or not is to look the outside. the otter will poop before entering. if there is lots of fresh poop that is a good place to set. i will try and get some pictures of a haul out to give you an idea. One thing i didn't think about is the weather up there. i don't know if you are able to trap along the saltwater but that is the only place i've seen haul outs. also i just realized on my last post i was thinking by pa you meant Port Alexander in southeast but now i'm pretty sure you mean Pennsylvania.

Ermine- 8
otter- 1

PostPosted: 14 Apr 2011, 15:17 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

Haul outs are otter toilets. Usually on a prominent piece of land along the beach. Don't bother with stakes, cable or wire to drift logs or roots. Make sure you are using 4 coiled traps or 280's. They can thrash in 330s and get damaged. Lost 3 in a row in new montgomery 4's that weren't 4 coiled.

PostPosted: 15 Apr 2011, 15:58 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

yea i used to live in pennsylvania, i am on afognak island now. I found one heavily used haul out a couple days ago while searching for beaver. I also found 2 otter toilets right on a lodge? Seems that the beavers were kicked out of the lodge though, had a hole entering through the top of the lodge, i never seen one like this before? I am going to check it out on my next day off, and see if the ice is gone and any fresh beaver sign. For setting on these haul outs, how do you guys set them? Just blind sets with 220s^ and larger foot traps? Or do you guys use baited and lured sets? I was debating making a a fishy paste out of some dead salmon fry or freezer burnt salmon and trimmings after smoking? One guy was saying to set 3 dirtholes in a real close area, and guard them with #3s and ^. I was sorta figuring on trying that, but worried i am gonna get more fox in them then otter, and also worried about location, not a very good spot to set drowners up... You guys thing they will hold an otter in an area i can only check 0nce a day? Thanks for all the info guys

sc

PostPosted: 16 Apr 2011, 01:57 
Trapper
Trapper

around here no one uses drowners for otters with there footholds. they will hold in strong springs but will alive and very angry! 220's are best but 280s and 330s will work, it just depends on what you have. i prefer 3s for footholds with otters. i did get one in a 1 1/2 but that was just luck. fours will work too but i think a 5 would be too big. i have used footholds in trail sets but that is kind of a hit and miss thing so next year i plan on using dirt holes. i would think a shellfish or a mink gland lure would work in those. i read some where to make to holes right next to each other, one with shellfish and one with mink and put the trap right between them but it seems like having one kind at two different sets 10 or so feet away would be better. good luck with those beavers

Cody

Ermine- 8
otter- 1