Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 22 Oct 2017, 10:39

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 20 Dec 2006, 18:43 
Article: Dec 20, 2006

Dog caught in trap escapes capture, puts own life at risk

By Kim Ring TELEGRAM & GAZETTE STAFF

BARRE— The last time she saw the injured dog, Laura L. Dimare was waist-deep in a swamp off Grove Street.

That was Saturday afternoon, and since then the animal control officer has been plastering signs around town asking residents to be on the lookout for — and to stay away from — the mottled-color shepherd-cattle dog mix with an illegal leg-hold trap on its front leg. Anyone who sees the dog should call police immediately and report its location, she said.

“It was awful, just awful,” she said. The weekend encounter was emotional, especially when the dog ran off just as she closed in. The canine fled dragging a chain attached to the trap, crying out as it became snagged along the way. The dog was last seen near Broad Street.

No one has reported losing such a dog, and Mrs. Dimare is worried.

“When I came out of work in Rutland and saw the snow, it brought a tear to my eye thinking he’s out there,” she said last night. “He’s in a lot of pain.”

Police are concerned, too. Acting Police Chief Erik J. Demetropoulos said he is worried that someone in town is using the leg-hold traps that were banned in Massachusetts a decade ago.

“If anyone knows anything about this, we want to know,” he said. “They can report it anonymously, but not only is it illegal, it’s a public safety hazard.”

Chief Demetropoulos said a person could be hurt by one of the traps. Hunters in the woods should be alert for the devices, he said, warning that a child could easily become entangled in one.

Mrs. Dimare said the Animal Rescue League of Boston has a plan it will implement to catch the dog if it is seen again. She believes residents will be more than willing to help the dog by keeping their eyes open and letting police know about any sightings. Barre police can be reached at (978) 355-4991.

The Animal Rescue League will care for the dog if it is caught. Mrs. Dimare said its injuries could include broken bones and flesh wounds where infection could easily set in.

The Animal Rescue League and Environmental and Barre police will investigate and bring charges against anyone caught using the traps, she said.

----

There is much misinformation in this article, ranging from these traps being dangerous for people, as well as failing to note that this is probably some kid who took an antiquated trap off of his grandpa's mantle and set it to see what he could catch, and probably caught his own freakin' dog. I need letters to the editor sent in stating how trappers are good about securing their traps because it benefits them not to lose an animal OR a trap. That today's traps are humane. That they grip the foot, not the leg, and therefore should be termed footholds, or live restraints. That they're used in most of the united states as part of a sound wildlife management program. I need all you good trappers to flood the T&G with pro-foothold support!

Letters must have the subject line: Letter to the Editor, and can be sent to: letters@telegram.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 06:24 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Wow. There are two idiots at work there. The bozo that set the trap and the woman who is spewing the PeTA rhetoric. :roll: Neither one of them is helping us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 08:46 
I know, but you're wrong. THREE bozo's. Let's not forget the police chief telling everyone that these traps are going to mangle their children's limbs!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 10:25 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Lil Bit wrote:
I know, but you're wrong. THREE bozo's. Let's not forget the police chief telling everyone that these traps are going to mangle their children's limbs!

Oops. You are right. I stand corrected. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 21 Dec 2006, 10:33 
Trapper
Trapper

no shortage of idiots in that area :D of course I'd have to exclude Lil Bit from that