Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 20 Oct 2017, 02:00

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 08:58 
Alright. While at first, you may think this doesn't affect you, because all you do is hunt or fish, think again. Keep in mind, these people would like it that you never rode a horse again because it's cruel. That you didn't breed or spay dogs, because nature should take it's course. That having cattle and eating meat is an abomination amongst man. That leather is murder. Your lifestyle is next on the chopping block, so we must stand together to keep them from taking any shred of our heritage or lifestyle away.

Trapping helps manage wildlife populations of undesirable game animals by hunters such as fox, skunk, opossum, otter, beaver, etc. These furbearers are an important resource that must be managed. The traps of today are not the same of yesteryear. They are not cruel. They do not cut the skin. They do not break bones. In fact, many non-target animals like barn cats and fowl are released unharmed!

For you fishermen, Otter are one of the largest predators of game fish such as bass and trout. For you hunters, coyotes are responsible for millions of deer deaths every year. Beaver cost residents in New England more in their taxes than in any other region of the world. While predator hunters may account for a couple hundred coyote taken out of your state every year, trapping accounts for thousands, and the populations are still healthy. For any of you who own sheep, cattle, horses, and even dogs, you know the horrible effect that coyotes, bobcats, fishers and other large predators have on your livestock and pet populations. And you chicken owners, well... you might as well be feeding the fisher and weasel populations. In Massachusetts, small pets (cats and small dogs) make the bulk of urban coyote diets. And due to high populations of animals (thanks to a ban like what Maine is proposing) the cases of Rabies in this state have more than doubled in the past 10 years. Cases of mosquito borne disease (thanks to the beavers) have quadrupled in the past ten years, being responsible for over half a dozen deaths just this year thanks to EEE. People are dying or becoming permanently disabled thanks to raccoon roundworm, of which 80% of Massachusetts raccoons now carry, the primary victim being young children.

And every little inch we give the Anti's, regardless of what aspect of our heritage they're attacking, it's only a matter of time before they want no hunting or fishing at all.

Now, to my immediate point: Right now, there is a poll being conducted by the Bangor Daily News as to whether or not trapping should be banned due to the likelyhood of catching eagles and lynxes. Two eagles in the past week have been caught in traps... both have been released back into the wild after a couple of days UNHARMED. The same goes with Lynxes. Even the IF&W (International Fish and Wildlife I believe), says that the populations of these animals are so healthy that even if one was trapped and KILLED a day, that it would not be so detrimental. These animals are only being trapped by accident, and in the end, being released unharmed back into the wild.

VOTE not to ban trapping. SUBMIT a reader comment explaining the benefits of your sport, be it hunting or fishing or trapping to the ecosystem and how a ban of any of these would be devastating to the balance that we work so hard as CONSERVATIONISTS to keep.

Eagles, lynx in traps The poll is to the right of the page. Reader comment submissions are down that the bottom.http://www.bangordailynews.com/news/t/news.aspx?articleid=144050&zoneid=500

Last edited by Lil Bit on 20 Dec 2006, 18:44, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 13 Dec 2006, 10:01 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

Thanks Lil Bit, great post. :)

They posted the comment I made this morning. I wonder how long it will remain on the website... :roll: There sure are a lot of uninformed people out there...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 12:41 
Trapper
Trapper

Been awful busy up here, so I haven't posted in a while.

Lil Bit, you are close enough but IFW ins't International fish and wildlife, but rather Inland Fisheries and Wildlife...Maine's department that oversees much of our hunting and fishing laws.

In my emails with the IFW officials, they confirmed that Maine has the highest populations of bald eagles and lynx in the northeast. The Federal government says we have less than 500 lynx, but the state biologists claim we have well over 2000. Neither species is endanger from a few traps.

Either way, the poll from my hometown newspaper is grim.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 13:48 
Trapper
Trapper

I can't even bring myself to read any more than a page of the replies from this article. I wish I had an hour or so of free time to write a very well thought out reply. I am JUST barely starting into trapping, so I don't know a whole lot, but I do know for a fact, a complete ban would have over half of the anti's changing their minds within 5 years. How many of these anti's are sitting in a leather desk chair or wearing leather shoes as they type about how cruel and inhumane it is to "use" animals or kill them for sport? How many of them eat ANYTHING that came from an animal. Eggs if left alone would become baby chicken even. You are disrupting the reproductive process of these animals by eating ANYTHING that coems from them. Am I against this?? HELL NO!!! How many of the anti's actually make their claims with ANY evidence to support it. It seemed like the hunters and trappers that responded at least gave some FACTUAL information as to why it SHOULD continue. Sorry about the "venting" but this is a topic that really gets under my skin as I'm sure it does the same to the rest of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 15:12 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

The anti's I see online nowadays are wimps, simply drones to the PR machine that the animal rights movement has become. They spew paragraph after paragraph of force-fed emotional rhetoric that they read on whichever AR website is the "in" movement of the moment.

I remember the days on the old Compuserve forums where some of the AR folks actually had half a brain and knew how to stage an argument. Now it's the same old, same old. Their "arguments" have become so predictable now that they are forced to use scare tactics and shock media to bring attention to themselves. For that is all they crave, attention. And money.

The scare tactics and shock media serve the intended purpose of duping the unsuspecting, fence-sitting Mr. and Mrs. Joe Public into opening their wallets and parting with their hard-earned dollars. Someday just take a look at the finances and tax returns of most of the AR organizations. How much money actually goes towards saving habitat and "rescuing" animals? And how much goes towards media campaigns and salaries. The numbers are astounding. It is unbelievable, yet not surprising at the same time.

Folks, we are doing a good job of preserving our traditions and heritage, but we cannot afford to rest, we must be diligent and fight the good fight against those that would take away the things that are dear to us.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 15 Dec 2006, 15:46 
Thanks for the correction. I couldnt' remember what the I stood for, *LOL* Hence why I put that little 'i believe' disclaimer. Heehee.

Anti's are retarded, but so can trappers be. The reality of the situation is that there are so many people that are believers of 'absolute's that when you suggest an alternative, they flip out and start to attack you.

I think it's a guy thing. ;)