Welcome to the Wild-About-Trapping.com Forums

Friends, Family and Outdoor Traditions
It is currently 18 Dec 2017, 11:48

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 13:43 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Don't know if this is considered spam or not Keith, but I figured it applied to us. If they ban waterfowling in this part of VA, what's next? Trapping bans? God only knows that people hate trapping more than hunting. This came off the duck hunting fourms. It's from a guy named Tantor on there, and you don't have to be a resident of VA to make a complaint since it is an NPS project. Yes NPS, which means this could happen to all of us. Swamp, this kind of applies to you since your daughter goes to college up there. Anywho, here it is fellas. If you want to do something please do. I'm getting ready to.

EDIT: Keith, I forgot we had a news desk forum, so this should probably go there.

From Tantor

Waterfowl hunting ban proposed

Sorry, for the overly dramatic subject line, but that is the situation that we face here. I want to get your attention to ask for a minute or two of your time to help defeat the people who are trying to stop duck hunting in Dyke Marsh here in Virginia.

The situation is this. Dyke Marsh is near DC and one of the few places that people from Virginia that don’t own land on the Potomac river can hunt (most of this land is multi million dollar property now).

A law was passed requiring the National Park Service to restore the marsh. The law says they have to get the public’s opinion before coming up with a plan.

The few people who live in the multi-million dollar houses near the marsh are opposed to any kind of hunting and are trying to use the restoration of Dyke Marsh to further their anti-hunting agenda. They are submitting comments requesting hunting be banned. They have had some success in getting the local press on their side too. See this article…

http://www.connectionnewspapers.com/art ... 69&cat=104

Fortunately they are few in number, so if we get a whole bunch of hunters to take just a minute to leave comments on the National Park Service website we can outnumber them and hopefully the anti-hunting bias of the NPS will be overcome as well.

If you value our hunting tradition, I’d encourage you to please consider helping. It really only takes a minute and it means so much.

What I’d like you to please consider doing is going to the website linked below and submit comments stating:
1. Any restoration plan for Dyke Marsh should take into consideration the legitimate needs of waterfowl hunters; and
2. Waterfowling organizations (like Ducks Unlimited) are by far the nations leaders in wetlands restoration, represent a potential source of expertise, funding, and manpower. As such these types of organizations should be used as a resource for restoring Dyke Marsh.

Even if you just cut and paste these two bullet points, it will help.

Thanks very much

http://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm ... ntId=22704

Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called sons of God. -Matthew 5:9

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 19:39 
THE LAST WORD
THE LAST WORD

Sent my comments, I encourage everyone else to do so also. I will probably never hunt there, but if we all don't stick together and help each other, we may all lose our rights someday!

"Take ye heed,watch and pray: for ye know not when the time is".

Rev. 6:8 and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was death , and Hell followed with him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 24 Apr 2008, 21:44 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

By the way, here's what I sent. If everybody would just copy paste it that would be great. I sent it to tantor and he added some local input and edited it a little bit.

To Whom It May Concern:

This is concerning the proposed restoration on Dyke Marsh in Virginia.

First of all, any restoration should have in mind the needs of the local waterfowl hunters. Most of these hunters have nowhere else to hunt other than this marsh.

In addition, hunting in Dyke Marsh is proven to be safe. There has NEVER been a hunting related injury associated with hunting at Dyke Marsh.

These hunters also provide a means to keep the nuisance waterfowl in check. For example, Northern Virginia is rampant with local populations of Canadian geese. These animals have become a nuisance. They prolifically defecate in public places (such as parks where children play) and spread the risk of serious disease including Avian Flu. Moreover, these populations are connected with herbivory concerns that are counterproductive to wetlands restoration. known to
I have seen it happen here in Tennessee at the Oak Ridge National Lab. Hunting is not allowed in the lab since it is a nuclear facility, and they have made it a gooose heaven. Open fields and ponds dominate the area, and local geese take up residence and refuse to move. I inter with a Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency officer and we must constantly move the geese only to see them come back and defecate on the sidewalks, which brings complaints. If you take into consideration the legitimate needs of waterfowl hunters this situation could easily be avoided.

Also, waterfowling organizations, such as Ducks Unlimited, are by far the nation’s leaders in wetland restoration. In Virginia alone, they have spent over $8,000,000 in the past year for wetlands restoration. These organizations can provide you with a potential source of expertise, funding, and man power. This would in turn decrease the cost to you. This would mean you could apply the left over funds from the project to make new national parks or repair ones that are in disrepair.

As a waterfowl hunter, I would like to see the National Park Service aid in keeping our beloved sport around and available to future generations by considering the previous ideas. If you take these into consideration, it will make Dyke Marsh a better place for everyone, citizens and hunters alike.

Thank You,
Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 12:20 
Trapper
Trapper

Hay just One thing I could not find wrer to post the comment for this I did read what it said but only Address and Ph#

Gray Fox 1
Bard Rock Rooster 2 same rooster twice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 06 Jan 2009, 18:34 
CANADIAN SASQUATCH
CANADIAN SASQUATCH

Guess they got rid of public comments. Maybe they thought they heard enough from hunters...