All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 02 Nov 2006, 16:32 
HATCHET MAN
HATCHET MAN

November 1, 2006

Hunters slandered by dove protectors

Little truth in opponents' arguments against season

The Detroit News

So many whoppers are being told this political season by the big players in the election that the distortions by some of the lesser profile campaigns get overlooked.

But we can't allow the offensive claims made by opponents of a dove hunting season in Michigan to stand unchallenged.

The opposition to Proposal 3, which would allow Michigan to join most of the rest of the nation in establishing a hunting season for mourning doves, is unfairly disparaging of hunters and ridiculously sentimental about America's favorite game bird.

Almost nothing the opponents say in their advertising rings true.

In their latest ad, they trot out a couple who purport to be Michigan hunters laying out the now familiar arguments against dove hunting. But no real hunters would say the things this couple says.

Don't hunt doves, they urge, because doves aren't a nuisance; they aren't overpopulated; they're too small to make a meal; they're shot only for target practice, and they are song birds, not game birds.

Any legitimate hunter knows that the main objective of hunting is not population and nuisance control. If it were, there would be almost no bird hunting in Michigan. Duck, woodcock, grouse, turkey and pheasant are also not overpopulated, and are certainly not nuisances.

By these criteria, the only winged species open for hunting would be crows, pigeons and Canada geese.

It is a slander to say that doves are shot for target practice. Dove hunters are meticulous in collecting downed birds, and most doves that are killed are cleaned and eaten. A dove breast wrapped in bacon is as fine a wild game meal as can be asked for. Yes, it takes several to fill a plate, but the same could be said of bluegill, smelt and perch, yet no one is suggesting that fishing for these species be banned.

The song bird argument is the silliest. All birds make some kind of song; some may find the honking of a goose to be as melodic as the coo of the dove.

Doves are not endangered. The mourning dove is not the symbol of peace -- that is its cousin, the turtledove. And opening the hunting season would not mean fewer doves at backyard bird feeders.

Doves continue to thrive in the 40 states that allow dove hunting, and in fact benefit from habitat improvement projects paid for by hunters. The same would be true in Michigan, too, if hunting were permitted here.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dove hunting untruths

-Mourning doves are peace symbols.
-Doves are shot for target practice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 02 Nov 2006, 20:02 
Trapper
Trapper

Man I dont really even pay much attention to them anymore. They do not know what they are talking about. The anti's just come to harsh conclutions baised on their own feelings and dont do any research. They do not understand that hunters are conservationists not ruthless killers. Hunting is proven as one of the best conservation methods to prevent alot of health issues in game animals such as inbreeding and genetic defects.

Have a good time

Post subject:
PostPosted: 05 Nov 2006, 19:22 
Trapper
Trapper

Maine considers them song birds too. No dove hunting up here...

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Jan 2007, 23:48 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

they opened it recently and I have seen more than I have ever seen before. here is a tale of the real killer of doves . In my front yard there was a dove and its mate the nice little kitty that was let out to run free and kill destroyed the nest and its eggs twice before killing one of the doves. 2nd year I found one dead dove and chased off the cat and found the other in the same day. I would venture to bet that they have a cat . maby they want to have more doves for there cat to kill. therefore who is the real killer here. How many doves would have been in the two nests of eggs and then the following year . and so on and so on that was just my yard how many yards was that cat in.kitty kitty . I have a cat and it has never killed a bird as it does not go out side unless leashed she is 5 I will not allow it out free to kill . now cats are they gonna be banned .dogs running free killing deer they gonna ban dogs its the owners. any how my point is some birds taken in the fall that is different it is selective . killing them in the spring and summer when they are having young that is the point keep the real killers locked up or on a leash.there are plenty of places for these birds to have a safe sanctuary very few are shot compared to how many eggs do they lay and then the pair and how many can the young have some will survive the year .as long as the rules are sensible and people adhear to the rules they will survive just fine.