It is currently 23 Oct 2017, 10:26

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: 18 Jan 2013, 20:40 
Forum not-so-Newbie
Forum not-so-Newbie

PostPosted: 19 Jan 2013, 00:35 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

Nice work!!! I wish we had bcats around here. They just opened up a short bcat season in parts of eastern SD this season but the closest area is about 110 miles from here. We probably have a few lurking along the lower Big Sioux valley but no season (I've never seen any sign of them). People around here seem to find more sign nowadys of big kitties wandering through from the Black Hills and other western parts of the state. I haven't seen a lion yet in eastern SD but we had a report late last summer of one just east of here and a few days later my youngest son (size 11 shoe) found this in a cow pie in a pasture about half a mile from here. Sure looks like a big kitty track (maybe)???

Genesis 1:26

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 10:06 
Trapper
Trapper

Nice cats Caleb!! I love you you took the pics of them, they look sweet!!!! :--D :--D
And PC, you are right about the "lion/big kitty" thing, we have had a bunch of reports not only this year, but past years of the sneaky buggers down in the James river area.. I'm pretty sure we have bobcats down there too, but for all the hours i spend down there I never see any.. I wish they would make it legal to catch one.. in this area.. or I wish i could catch one and release it, just for the pic!!! :roll:

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 12:00 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SD96- Well, the opened up those 7 counties along the Missouri, I think stopping with Yankton. So, if it went well, perhaps they'll push it up the Jim to you guys!!

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 17:14 
Experienced Forum User
Experienced Forum User

Great looking kitties :D Congratulations! Very good pics too.

PostPosted: 21 Jan 2013, 19:10 
Trapper
Trapper

NonPCfed wrote:
SD96- Well, the opened up those 7 counties along the Missouri, I think stopping with Yankton. So, if it went well, perhaps they'll push it up the Jim to you guys!!

Well with Fox being my dream critter because we just don't have the habitat around here for them.. Cats rank up there right next to em! I have my fingers crossed!! :P

PostPosted: 22 Jan 2013, 01:04 
Professional Trapper
Professional Trapper

SD96- When I was your age, we used to have a lot of reddies around, although the James Valley also had good numbers of yotes. Now the coyote has become king around here and the fox much less. In the early '90s, there used to be a good number of reddies in the small grain areas of West River, with yotes more out on the grasslands. I haven't been out there trapping since then so I don't know if coyotes have taken over there as well on everything. Still, walking around fields around here a few days to a week after a snow, I usually see at least one set of fox tracks and 2-4 sets of coyote tracks.